Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Medical Reasons for Abortion (Page 1)

Over the past few years I have had differing views on the abortion. I have gone from being unabashedly pro-choice in a small town backwoods high school where you are indoctrinated non-stop with extremist right-wing viewpoints, to actually fathering a child of my own and being a moderate pro-lifer. However, I don't believe myself to be educated enough on the subject to actually have a stance on it, so I have committed myself over the past several weeks to thoroughly research it in able to form a more educated opinion.

I recently happened across this board to find some very smart and seemingly educated individuals with very defined opinions on the subject. After pouring over different topics, and reading ALOT of text on this board, I could not find what I am looking for: a list of medical situations that would require an abortion. Across the web and in real life I keep hearing people say that they would only support abortion in the case where the woman's life is in danger. I am not a doctor. I have never encountered anyone who has had an abortion (remember I live out in the backwoods, folks). But in all of the cases where people say this, I can't really find many examples of where the woman is in 'danger' if she does not get an abortion.

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. I have just never encountered it. I have an open mind, and I am hoping that some of you might help me out with this.

P.S.

I did come across these two instances:

1.) Gestational Diabetes. I will soon research more into this subject, but I think someone told me once that it can be prevented with dietary changes. Can someone clarify?

2.) In the post "Real Life Situation", the instance of hemorraging (sic) is brought up, wherein I would also advise the woman to get a second opinion before accepting that, but since it is possible, then it's a no-brainer "if-she-gets-pregnant-then-she-gets-an-abo rtion".
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Look up "Severe fetal deformities" or perhaps "Lethal chromosonal abnormalities" as well. If you can't find the posts It's fair to say you aren't looking that hard. A simple internet search will provide the answer to you. Lets start with an easy one. Ectopic pregnancy. How about allergy to pregnancy hormones? Anemia? Diabetes? Blood pressure.. better yet why don't you look up why our maternal DEATH rate in the U.S. (nice techie modern society) has doubled in the last few years?

How about pregnancy induced hypertension? Infection? Hemmorage? Placental problems (think previa here) there is a wealth of information available if you just look.
|

replied April 8th, 2008
Thanks. That's a good list.

And don't get an attitude with me. It's really not necessary cuz I'm not one of those crazy religious dingbats. And it's not like I'm not looking. I really had no idea what to search for. I kept trying "medical reasons for abortion" but it kept bringing me to different variations of the same ole same.

Once again, thanks ALOT. I am going to look at all of those things that you suggested.

Anyone have anything else to add?

Personal experiences?
|

replied April 8th, 2008
Experienced User
My own mother was STRONGLY advised to get an abortion. She was told she WOULD die if she didn't, she took the chance and here I am today. I'm not quite sure of the reason why, I can ask her tonight.

Other than the ones listed above, there is a certain condition where the mothers body duplicates that of the fetus. Therefore, any abnormalities or problems would be recreated in the mother. I'm not sure of the name, but it exists and a google search may provide the answer.
|

replied April 8th, 2008
Thank you Reptar. If you could find out why she was advised to have an abortion, please do.

See, I have heard similar stories where mothers were advised to have an abortion and chose not to, thus giving birth to healty children with no problems whatsoever. And that's why it should be available, because some doctors would determine that a pregnancy may pose a threat to a mother, but of course you would want to get a second opinion.
|

User Profile
replied April 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Reptar wrote:
My own mother was STRONGLY advised to get an abortion. She was told she WOULD die if she didn't, she took the chance and here I am today. I'm not quite sure of the reason why, I can ask her tonight.

I'm going to try to walk you through what goes on in the mind of a woman who is told a pregnancy will or has a high percent chance of killing her if she goes through it.
I know, I faced your mother's situation once. My desire to have one more child, I always wanted two, was so strong that I decided to risk my life for that single desire.
THere are those that will and have called me selfish because I ran the risk of leaving my then 5 year old an orphan. I can't really walk you through the endless questions, the guilt, the self blame, how it feels to think you have 'failed' as a mother, a woman.
It's not an easy decision. There are so many factors to weigh in and you've no emotional stability. I think in the end only the fact I don't fear death helped. I decided if it was meant to be it would happen. As a worst case scenario I would have another miscarriage and it would probably kill me.
Having her almost did anyway see I'm a hemorrager; I bleed profusely after expelling a fetus, my doctor literally took my husband into his office and told him it was touch and go, I was dying.

Now I look to my Sunchild and I know she was worth the risk but immediately after the pregnancy I got my tubes cut and tied. I couldn't risk that again; I couldn't deal with the hell that was my mental and emotional state again. I promise you if for any reason a 'miracle' pregnancy should occure I will absolutely abort the potential killer; my children who are here need their mother far more then some undeveloped sac of cells needs an incubator so it might grow to become a person after its birth.
Alternately it might kill its hostess too.

I don't envy your mother her decision its not an easy one to make but sometimes it works out.
|

replied April 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
The most obvious to me is where a woman is so determined that she does not want to be pregnant that she would commit suicide if she couldn't have an abortion.
|

User Profile
replied April 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I work with individuals who have a mental illness, and being pregnant would trigger symptoms by the hormones, the stress, and the issues surrounding medications and pregnancy. One would have to quit taking most psychoactive drugs to have a healthy pregnancy, and that would certainly not be in the best interest of the mother who may rapidly deteriorate and possibly harm herself or another and almost certainly harm the developing fetus.
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2008
Supporter
Reptar wrote:

Other than the ones listed above, there is a certain condition where the mothers body duplicates that of the fetus. Therefore, any abnormalities or problems would be recreated in the mother. I'm not sure of the name, but it exists and a google search may provide the answer.

I think you're thinking of Mirror Syndrome? But I'm not positive.
|

replied April 11th, 2008
Experienced User
Yep, that's it. Or, at least, that's the one I've heard of.
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
what about having lupus and being pregnant

....a friend of mine told me that one of his g/f and he doctor advies her to ahve an abortion becasue of her lupus he told her that the meds she ahd been taken had probably caused deformaties and if she did carry the baby full term it could endanger her life or she would more than likly have a still birth.....???

has anyone heard anything like this????
|

replied April 14th, 2008
You hear plenty of stories about women being advised against birth, but having the baby anyway and surviving.
Why don't you hear about the women who don't survive?
Because they are dead.
They can't tell their story.
|

replied April 14th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I know that wasn't meant to be funny, but the bluntness of it made me chuckle Smile And poignant too.
|

replied April 15th, 2008
Tylanas wrote:
I know that wasn't meant to be funny, but the bluntness of it made me chuckle Smile And poignant too.

Yeah, it was a good point. It made me smack myself on the forehead and say "Duh!" to myself.
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Vexing wrote:
You hear plenty of stories about women being advised against birth, but having the baby anyway and surviving.
Why don't you hear about the women who don't survive?
Because they are dead.
They can't tell their story.

A very good point Vexing
|

replied October 30th, 2009
Abortion for Medical reasons
As someone having to get an abortion in a few days because the risk to me is too great and the fact that I will almost 100% for sure have babies with medical problems I can say that abortion is something that needs to stick around for situations like these. I have tried so hard to try and see the positive in all of this and the only thing I have come up with is that I do not believe it is fair to bring babies in to this world facing cerebal palsy, brain damage, under developed brains, and organs, and I also do not find it fair to lose my own life to put babies like this in the world. I am currently pregnant with monoamniotic twins and I am RH negative, so there are too many complications associated. I use to only be pro-life boy I have learned my lesson the hard way!!
|

Experienced User
Re: Abortion for Medical reasons
cinderella10383 wrote:
As someone having to get an abortion in a few days because the risk to me is too great and the fact that I will almost 100% for sure have babies with medical problems I can say that abortion is something that needs to stick around for situations like these. I have tried so hard to try and see the positive in all of this and the only thing I have come up with is that I do not believe it is fair to bring babies in to this world facing cerebal palsy, brain damage, under developed brains, and organs, and I also do not find it fair to lose my own life to put babies like this in the world. I am currently pregnant with monoamniotic twins and I am RH negative, so there are too many complications associated. I use to only be pro-life boy I have learned my lesson the hard way!!

Truthfuly you were then never prolife. Funny how a persons real colors show when put in a situation. I have always said, "Words are easy, actions are harder and show a person's true self".
|

Its people like you that make a decision like this harder by not understanding.You are not in this situation. I have to also think am I willing to die and leave my other 2 children here without a mother? That answer obivously is a big fat NO!! I think that by you saying what you have your showing why people continue to hide the fact that they have had an abortion. If this situation had not come about this would not be an issue because I would not choose to abort. I was on birth control when I got pregnant one of the best ones out there to be exact. This is something I cry about daily and don't understand how god or whoever is the higher power could put something like this on someone for no reason at all. I took the precautions and here I am..so tell me whats fair about my situation? Someday you may know someone in this situation or be in it yourself..and when that time comes I only hope people are there for you and understand that this is not easy!!
|

replied October 31st, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
If prolife means treating women like breeding fodder and sacrificing their lives to the process of reproduction, I don't know how anyone with a heart could be prolife. Everyone has the right to self defense; even women.
|

replied October 31st, 2009
Experienced User
cinderella10383 wrote:
Its people like you that make a decision like this harder by not understanding.You are not in this situation. I have to also think am I willing to die and leave my other 2 children here without a mother? That answer obivously is a big fat NO!! I think that by you saying what you have your showing why people continue to hide the fact that they have had an abortion. If this situation had not come about this would not be an issue because I would not choose to abort. I was on birth control when I got pregnant one of the best ones out there to be exact. This is something I cry about daily and don't understand how god or whoever is the higher power could put something like this on someone for no reason at all. I took the precautions and here I am..so tell me whats fair about my situation? Someday you may know someone in this situation or be in it yourself..and when that time comes I only hope people are there for you and understand that this is not easy!!

You assume I don't understand but I very much do. My situation was similar but I had 4 born children and the child I was carrying was going to die, period. I understand how you cry daily, I did too. I was also on birth control and was shocked by my pregnancy. I researched "termination" but could not/would not consent to harming my child. I also could not/would not live a lie. None of it had to do with politics and had everything to do with the simple fact that I am a mother to ALL my kids, not just my born kids. What you decide to do is up to you and I fault no woman because, as the saying goes, "There but for the Grace of God go I". I have no right or desire to judge anyone, especially a woman like you and me, in intense pain where there is no "right" answer.
the truth is, it is easy to say you are prolife but harder to live those words. Today, I can truthfully say, I am prolife and have lived my beliefs. I also tell that to prolifers who say they absolutely know they would not have an abortion for any reason. Words are easy, actions are harder. Peace and I hope and pray you make a decision who can live with in peace.
|