Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Medical abortion infection ?

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
User Profile
I woke up with a dull lower left back pain. I have no other symptoms but just feel sore around lower back. Could this be from some kind of infection from a medical abortion that was done a month and a half ago? My pregnancy tests since are still coming back as a faint pos. but I know can take some time for the hormone to leave the body as I know there is no other way I could be pregnant again now so I am not worried about that, im just concerned about whether or not my pain could be from that. Also, I just had a vaginal delivery 6 months ago.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2010
Fertility Answer A10373

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the low back ache. This seems unrelated to the miscarriage that you had unless and until it was a D+C. D+C can introduce infections in the vagina which may cause pelvic inflammatory disease. It can also be accompanied by adhesion formation which may cause abdominal and back pain.

Other common causes of back pain are strain of muscles or sprain of ligaments. But there are number of other causes also like damage or injury to spinal nerves, bones, or discs. For treatment of acute back pain, take adequate rest. However ,if you need to continue working then consider using a brace or corset for a few days. You can also take over the counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. If the back pain worsens or persists then please get it evaluated from a gynecologist and physician.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.