Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Medial ankle pain 6 weeks after ankle sprain

Hi there!
I'm a 42 year old female. Six weeks ago I was climbing ropes at the gym and dropped down from 4-6 feet onto a piece of excess rope resting on the ground. My ankle rolled and pain and swelling occurred immediately. Being a stubborn woman, I walked it off until the swelling started spilling over my shoe.

Got an X-ray from the orthopedic who said nothing was broken.

I was on crutches for 2 weeks and still in an air cast boot when I'm on uneven ground or working out. My workouts are modified (rowing, 12" box steps, shoulder work, cleans)and ankle swells 4x the size afterwards.

My current problem/question is this: Saturday I walked without the book (tennis shoes) on a flat surface and was very careful not to twist/turn or injure the ankle. Of course, it swelled 4x the size, as it always does each afternoon.

However, pain woke me up in the middle of the night/early the next morning. I couldn't put any weight on the foot and experienced severe pain over my medial ankle bone. It was extremely tender to the touch and any movement caused sharp pain.

One day later, it's sore but the severe pain is gone.

Any ideas what is going on? I'm on day 59.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2014
Thank you for asking

ANkle sprains are slow to heal and activities like yours make them slower. It needs frequent leg elevation to make sure the healing recovery is fine. You xrays have rule dout any fracture so thats good news. Rest the pain and swelling needs conservative management with some podiatric care and physiotherapy exercises.

You have to be a little easy on your ankles and elevate them as soon as possible for maximum longer durations. Gravity puts the pressure and this leads to swelling and oozing out of fluids from vasculature due to inflammation.

Any ways, every thing is alright and will be fine with the passage of time.

Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.