Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

Med for yeast infection and balanitis?

User Profile

I'm a 20 year old male. A little over a week ago, the top of my penis reddened, became painful to touch and swelled up. A few days later the pain dissipated and there isn't as much redness, however the swelling remained. After some research, I came to the conclusion that this was caused by balanitis. The following day, I noticed pinkish spots/rashes on the inside of my thighs. I did some more research and discovered that this was a yeast infection, particularly candida. I read that it's not unusual as both were caused by the yeast.

I'm going to purchase Canestan. I was just wondering if this would work for both the yeast infection and the balanitis? If so, how would I apply it to my penis? It's very swollen therefore very tight, and it physically pains me to retract - I can't even expose the head fully. Would it have to be applied to the penis itself, or will I find a solution if I were to apply it to the foreskin?

Thanks in advance.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2014
Yeast Infection Answer A48489
Hello, Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Balanitis is an inflammation of the foreskin and head of the penis. It can be due to infection especially fungal infection, harsh soaps, or failure to properly rinse soap off while bathing.

You should consult your primary care doctor and get a culture swab and a KOH examination of the skin of the foreskin done to rule out any fungal infection. Till that time, retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. Wear cotton clothes and use as mild soap like Cetaphil for cleaning the penis. You can also use some topical antimicrobials like Bacitracin or Cansaten or Lotrimin but only after consulting your doctor. Canasten would work both for yeast infection and balanitis as well.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Yeast Infection , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.