Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

may have adrenal insuffiency, on steroids

About 6 months ago i got really sick. I ended up in the hospital and they had diagnosed me with a uti. I had finished my round of anti biotics but still felt a little off and had dull abdominal pain which the hosptial said it could have been muscle pain so i brushed it off as that though it never went away. In october i started to feel similar symptoms:

*abdominal pain along my ribcage

*mucle weakness and pain in both my legs and arms(sometimes i will feel a shooting pain in my wrists to my fingers)

*about a 10 pound weightloss

*a low grade fever on and off

*flank and upper back/kidney pain

*lightheadness upon standing

*fatigue

*loss of apetite

*nausea on and off

*contantly feeling dehydrated

*a tendacy to feel over heated quickly and to stay feeling over heated

*feeling out of breathe when exerting little energy

*insomia (i sleep about 2 to 3 hours at a time or even a night) sleep apnea has been suggested for this though i have yet to be tested for it

*non cadrovascular chest pain

*sometimes i feel as though the tissues in my fingers are swelling though you can not tell by looking at them and sometimes have a sensation of tingliness or the feeling of them wanting to fall asleep even if my hands are in use

*sometimes i have a senitivity to touch as in the case if you lightly touch my skin it will hurt this has happened on random places of my body such as my legs, shoulders, and along the ribcage
when i had went to the doctor she had agreed it sounded like a kidney infection though i have had no trouble going to the bathroom but put me on meds. it took me about 5 days both times i was sick to feel better on the antibiotics though she said it should have only taken a day or 2. when i went back for my follow up she said my steriod levels were low even though my uti came back fine. I have had 3 negative uti tests and all of my basic blood work came back negative. I have also had chest xrays, abdominal ct scans, and a brain mri done everything seems normal. My doctor has suggested i may have adrenal insuffiency and sent in me in for a cortisol stimulant test. She said the level cut off was 20 and i tested at 20.1 and has put me on prednisone. I have been on this for about a week now. Yesterday i woke up with a fever, headache, and tooth ache (tooth ache may not have anything to do with this as this has been recent). i was sent home from both of my jobs and ended up going to the hospital as by the end of the night i was having bad abdominal, muscle, and back pain again. the more i seem to exert energy or run myself on emtpy the worse i feel. the hospital did nothing but a basic blood and urine test and sent me home with pain meds and said they could do no further testing. i have also been tested for lymes disease, anemiea, rhumetoid arthritis, my vitamin d and b levels, thryroid problems and everything has come back fine. its becoming harder for me to work since im feeling sick more often than not and having to take off days from work all the time. I am not sure if its the steroids casuing me more pain or if they are simply not working. Since starting the prednisone my muscles have been able to function a little more though i am still experiencing all my pain. I was wondering if anyone has any insight to this as to what it may be or what i could possible have them test for else wise.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 23rd, 2013
I don't know what is causing your particular illness but I know last year I was having many of these symptoms. For me it turned out to be diabetes. The highs and lows made me feel very ill. I seriously thought I had cancer or something before we had figured out what it was. Best of luck to you. I hope you can get an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment soon.
|

replied November 24th, 2013
You know my doctor has not even mentioned this as a possibility though i have thought about it. My glucose level seems normal everytime it is tested but i assume i am right in thinking youd need a different kind of test than just a basic glucose level to determine this. I believe its time to bring this up to my doctor. Thank you this may just help even if its to rule it out.
|

You're welcome. Smile They were actually going to do a glucose intolerance test on me and when they tested my blood it as so high still even after fasting for 15 hours that they didn't think it would be safe for me to drink the syrup. I actually passed out in the doctor's office when they were drawing the blood. Anyway, that's how my diabetes was found. I'm slender, active, and eat in a healthy manner, but I still ended up with Type II. Oh well.
|

Well i know they want to test me for celiac had i not been having problems with my veins collapsing id have had the test done already, but i know ive had days where i can feel that my blood sugar has dropped low enough to where i feel like i want to collapse and i feel dehydrated all the time so i guess it could be either one just have to rule things out one at a time i suppose i just hope its sooner rather than later
|

replied March 13th, 2014
I would suggest having some blood work done, specifically to check hormone levels, insulin levels, antibody levels, and anything else relevant that you or your doctor think. Specifically, hormone levels can tell you a lot about what is going on in particular parts of your body. Seeing as you had a really bad uti with a course of antibiotics, I would not be at all surprised to see some discrepencies in your hormonal levels. There is also the need to distinguish between how you felt/symptoms before and after the uti. All in all, if you are still suffering from these problems and have not found the answers, I would suggest a full work up starting with blood tests from a very detailed doctor. Detailed doctors are hard to come by (The best are usually middle aged, the worst doctors are the young inexperienced ones, and the old tired ones who have no drive to care.)
|
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....