Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

Mastectomy for DCIS

User Profile
Recently diagnosed with breast cancer. Not sure of all details yet, I onlu just found out this past week. DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma in situ/Infilterative Ductal Carcinoma. Have to await results from lymph node tests in order to procede. Would very much like to hear from anyone else who has gone though this recently...within last 3 years. Yes........apparently Fairy*Godmothers get breast cancer too! Apprecaite any info! Cool
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2008
Supporter
someone out there has had to have had this procedure....
its not like being pregnant....thinking you might be pregnant.....will my husband come back to me....what are these green bumps on my hoo hoo.....its a simple thing everyday women go through and I am a basket case.........just need soemone who can coach me through this!
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, Fairy*Godmother!
I guess your diagnosis is ductal carcinoma in situ with the presence of an invasive component. In that cases, after lumpectomy or axillary lymph nodes dissection (ALND usually is not indicated in carcinoma in situ, unless there is an invasive component) with or without radiation, simple mastectomy is used in the treatment.
Mastectomy cures 98-99% of all types of DCIS, with a recurrence rate of only 1-2%.
Have you been diagnosed with routine mammogram or you have found a lump by yourself?
|

replied March 31st, 2008
Stick in there Fairy*Godmother
I had a mastectomy in December 2007. Its not too bad really, just a relief to get rid of the cancer. There are many options for plastic surgery if the loss of a breast is difficult for you but it is more important that you get well again. My daughters' responses to my cancer and mastectomy were: "Don't worry mum, you don't need it [the breast] any more" and "You look much thinner without that breast, you should get the other one off".
Did you know that there is an 84% survival rate from early breast cancer these days - even though the words invasive/infiltrating cancer sound scary, this is still just early cancer! Isn't that fantastic! Do you have to have any adjuvant therapy? I have just finished a four cycle course of chemotherapy. This was pretty awful but not as bad as I had expected thanks to advances in the drugs treating the side effects of chemo. If you have a mastectomy you may not need to have radiotherapy, which is another good thing although, of course, it is better to have all the treatments offered to you to maximise you chances of living a long and healthy life after this.
|
Users who thank sailonsilvergirl for this post: david_08 

replied June 12th, 2008
invasive carcinoma
Hi there!

My best friend has been diagnosed with invasive carcinoma breast cancer grade 3. Can anyone please tell me if there's any treatment? I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
David
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2008
Supporter
Hi Sweetie! Me Fairy*Godmother
YES..........there is treatment! I underwent a mastectomy 6 weeks 5 days ago. Am in the process of reconstruction. I awas only a stage 1, therefore, treatment plans are different. Has she undergone sentinel node biopsy to ensure it had not spread to node? If so, seh may have to undergo mastectomy, radiation and chemo. I did not have to take Chemo, but will take tamoxifen for the next 5 years or until I am postmenopausal, then can change estrogen drugs. Not gonna have to go through this alone. Please feel free to PM me. i've been studiygin up for 6 months. HAve a great oncologist and loads of info! She's gonna be fine! Would like tofind out more inof so I know about where she stnads in process. Needle core biopsy? Lumpectomy? Mastectomy? Sometimes radiation/chemo is required before surgery. Keep in touch, you are not alone. I will ALWAYS be here to help if I can! HUGS!
|
Users who thank Fairy Godmother for this post: david_08 

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2010
Experienced User
?
|
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....