What can cause a major Heart Attack? I ask this question because my mother had triple bypass 3 years ago it was very unexpected. She went in for a simple test and found out that she had 3 blocked arteries. But yet, she never had a heart attack. I believe it is because she never took care of herself. She had a diet high in fat, never worked out.

I had a echo stress cardiogram done 5 years ago. The finding were:

Baseline electrocardiogram showed sinus rythm rate of 72 beats/minute

Procedure: Patient exercised on a Bruce two-minute protocol for a total of 5 minutes, completing one minute of stag III of the protocol. Heart rate increased to 131 beats/minute, which is 94% of predicted maximal heart rate for age. Blood pressure increased from 120/80 to 160/70. There were no dysrhythmias. ECG's were negative for ischemia. The patient achieved a workout of 10.1 METS.

Echocardiography was obtained pre and post exercise. Prior to exercise, there was normal wall motion throughout the left ventricle. Post exercise, there was normal increase in the left ventricular wall motion. Stress Echocardiogram was negative for ischemia.

Conclusions:
Fair exercise tolerance
Negative stress ECG for ischemia, dysrhythmia, and chest pain.
Stress echocardiogram negative for ischemia.

I am 5'7", 230lbs, i do aerobics 3 days a week which last 45 minutes per class. The majority of my diet is Chicken Breast, i try to eat as much veggies and fruits as possible. Can you tell me what the outcome of this test means. Does this mean that I have a healthy heart and I have nothing to worry about?

What are my chances of taking a Heart Attack?

What are my chances of getting hardening of the arteries or plaque buildup in the arteries 5 years later?

Thank You,

Kathy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2008
Doctor
According to your stress-test results your heart seems fine.
To estimate your risk for heart attack you should give me few more information: sex, age, blood pressure, total blood cholesterol, creatinine, if you smoke and if you have diabetes.
|

replied June 2nd, 2008
Hello Doc,

I am Female, 42 years of age, BP 120/80 no diabetes. As for the Creatinine I don't know.
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2008
Doctor
What about total cholesterol?
|

replied June 2nd, 2008
Total Cholesterol is 182
|

replied June 2nd, 2008
I stopped smoking 7 years ago. I will have the Creatinine results later, my GP is going to fax them too me. I will post it.

My Creatinine, Serum is 0.7 mg/dl and the Bun/Creatinine Ration is 17

Total Cholestrol is 182

HDL is 63 , LDL is 102

Triglycerides are 85

These blood test are from 2/16/08

Also the echostress was done on 2/7/07 not in 2003.

Interpretation Summary is:

Normal left ventricular internal dimensions and wall thickness
Left ventricular systolic function is normal
Reversal of the EA waves of the mitral inflow pattern consistant with reduced compliance of the left ventricle
There is mild mitral regurgitation

There is no pericardial effusion
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2008
Doctor
Data about age, sex, former smoker, blood pressure, total cholesterol, weight, height, creatinin, having no left ventricle hypertrophy, no diabetes and no former heart attacks or stroke help us to calculate your risk for geting some coronary heart disease, including heart attack. According to my calculation, you have MODERATE risk for heart attack. Being overweight and fact that you are former smoker make you to have such risk.
|

replied June 5th, 2008
So in other words, my heart is not that healthy? What do my readings mean? I stopped smoking alone time ago. Why would that have an effect on me now?

My cardiologist said that my heart is fine and I have nothing to worry about. My GP also told me the same thing.
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2008
Doctor
TO HAVE A RISK for getting some disease in the future and to HAVE THAT DISEASE NOW is not the same.
Coronary heart disease (CHD) is a disease of the arteries that supply the heart muscle. Narrowing of the coronary arteries caused by atherosclerotic changes (plaques) in arteries' walls disturbs the blood supply to the heart muscle and that causes symptoms. Coronary heart disease can be manifested in several forms: stabile angina pectoris, non-stabile angina pectoris, heart attack (infarct), chronic atherosclerotic myocardiopathy and sudden heart's death. There are several risk factors for getting coronary heart disease: smoking, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, male sex, menopause, older age, overweight, low physical activity, psychical stress and genetic predisposition. The risk is higher as you have many of these risk-factors.
According to your stress-ECG-test you don't have coronary heart disease (for now). You only have some mild mitral regurgitation (according to the echo-cardiography) which is not a coronary heart disease and is not related to the risk factors I mentioned before.
Smoking is one of the biggest risk factors for getting CHD. If you still smoked the risk for getting CHD would be HIGH but since you stopped the risk became MODERATE. If you continue not to smoke the risk will become LOW.
|

replied June 5th, 2008
Thank You Dr. I stopped smokking 7 years ago. I just thought that my risk would be low because it has been 7 years.

Thank You again.

Kathy
|
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....