Do you think marijuana is an acceptable treatment for adult ADHD
Acceptable
I'd need to see the facts
Unacceptable
77%  77%  [ 17 ]
13%  13%  [ 3 ]
9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22
If part of the issue with ADHD is attributed to low levels of Dopamine in the brain, which causes inconsitancy in attention (similar to REM sleep mode) - and inevitably hyperactivity... Couldn't one choose to self-medicate with marijuana, seeing as THC stimulates the increase (or instead decreses the uptake) of Dopamine at the same drug receptor sites?

Just a thought.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Yogawarrior
|

replied January 5th, 2010
But then how would you get any work done? I'm completely out of commission for the day after that. Smile
|

replied January 5th, 2010
my first thought is to agree with you completely Smile
but what if the desired effect can be achieved with dose dependent administration.

it seems as if ADHD brains work differently than a normal brain, just because of the fact that there is a consistently low amount of a certain chemical.

adderall corrects ADHD because its desired stimulant effects make up for the chemical imbalance.
in a non-ADHD brain, it simply causes undesired effects, usually overstimulation.

marijuana could potentially correct ADHD because of its desired effect on DOP.
in a non-ADHD brain, it could again cause undesired effects (depending on what you desire i suppose)

could someone with a medical degree please confirm or deny this idea?
thank you for your time!
|

replied January 14th, 2010
the searcher
I have adhd.I am 41 years old.I have been smoking marijuana dailiy since i was 17.It is the only thing that seems to take the edge off but it is no cure just a band aid. I am starting to use L-theanine amino acids to cope instead of dope..wish me luck?
|

replied January 21st, 2010
Experienced User
spndizzyedg how is the L-theanino working for ya?
|

replied March 29th, 2010
It's amazing how intelligent I become with marijuana. When I have a thought, I can hold that thought, and actually have time to proess it and make full use of my intelligence. Without it, every thought is at some distance to me, and I can't hold them all in. It does wonders for me, and I'm hoping some med could give something of a healthier alternative. Just waiting to finally be prescribed something to try...
|

replied December 19th, 2010
adhd and marijuana
Living proof write in front of my own eyes...my son it was suggested when he was young in 2nd grade he was adhd and they recommended he take all the popular drugs..i refused didnt believe in them because i knew several families whose kids were on those drugs then and didnt like the results..what i was seeing and hearing about the effect of those drugs on their children so they were switching from one type of drug to another...by the way now 16 years later 3 out of the 5 families i am talking about their kids are battling with severe drug addiction..some have been to jail all have been to some kind of rehabilitation....back to now...my son i have watched struggle through the years up into high school where he is now with his concentration, focus, distractions and resulting in low or failing grades...recently with my knowledge and my caution in the past six months he has been using pot...he has just completed a junior semester in high school...he used this throughout the semester and has had the highest grades ever of his school career...his ability to listen in class, retain the information, create new thoughts and ideas and express himself socially has improved dramatically...his self esteem has improved off the charts....he is much more motivated and looking forward to college actually excited about it....i am not a doctor, scientist, no 'official documented years of research have been performed'...i am a mom who knows her son, lived and raised him for 18 years by myself, watched and experienced the change...i dont need anymore proof for myself and his situation...I have researched for months, reading articles, watching videos and they all say the same...i so pray that the political blocks will be removed and others will be helped
|

replied January 3rd, 2011
Re: the searcher
spndizzyedg wrote:
I have adhd.I am 41 years old.I have been smoking marijuana dailiy since i was 17.It is the only thing that seems to take the edge off but it is no cure just a band aid. I am starting to use L-theanine amino acids to cope instead of dope..wish me luck?

To spndizzyedg...how much L-Theanine do you take daily?...if you don't mind me asking...my husband is ADD...smokes marijuana here and there...on occasion to keep his tolerance low, and claims it helps, but also takes L-Theanine and phosphatidylserine complex. He takes 300mg of the L-Theanine, and he says it seems to help. Is that how much you take? Did it work?
|

replied February 9th, 2011
My dad is bipolar. When my mom was still mariied to him he would get mad and beat the crap out of her for stupid things. He would hit my sister to but never me. I mean he got guns after her chainsaws, he threw whatever he could at her. beat her with collectable walking canes. She was with him 14 years and left him one night when she knew that if she didnt get out that he was going to kill her that day. Neways they got a divorce and my dad later on met another woman. She didnt know what she got her self into. She loved him but one night he busted the wind shield in her car like he did every single car that my mom had and she told him that he had to get help or she was gone. My dad had been to doctor after doctor and they put him on every med made for bipolar and nothing helpd. He then started smoking marijuana and he is a changed man. He doesnt do none of the stuff he used to do. NO MEDS helped! marijuana i think does cure alot of stuff. It helps some ppl sleep, relax, it does alot.
|

replied March 7th, 2011
Re: the searcher
scottysgirl02 wrote:
spndizzyedg wrote:

To spndizzyedg...how much L-Theanine do you take daily?...if you don't mind me asking...my husband is ADD...smokes marijuana here and there...on occasion to keep his tolerance low, and claims it helps, but also takes L-Theanine and phosphatidylserine complex. He takes 300mg of the L-Theanine, and he says it seems to help. Is that how much you take? Did it work?

Thanks for your stuff..........I am very happy by your suggestion.
|

replied April 8th, 2011
Ive always thought this, but never considered that itd ever actually be a 'legal' fix to ADHD. I know its not yet, but its kind of nice to think that it might be.... one day!

I started smoking marajuana when i was very young... smoked all through out high school and into my early 20's. It wasnt until I STOPPED smoking marajuana that I began to notice my ADHD symptoms. I had never been told that I was a scatter brain before, never got in trouble at school or work for 'distracting others', or had issues dealing with making decisions... UNTIL I QUIT SMOKING. Then I got written up at work and ended up making a doctor appt and now Im perscribed 70 mg of vyvance every day!!

All it is is replacing one drug with another.... and one of them is COMPLETLY NATURAL. Why wouldn't marajuana have been the scientists FIRST medication they considered??? Must be the horrible side effects: hunger, ability to socialize, ability to sleep, calmness, ummmmm..... Ya....

Bottom line - I ABSOLUTLY THINK MARAJUANA SHOULD BE PERSCRIBED FOR ADULT ADHD!!!!!!!!!!!
|

replied October 16th, 2012
Scientists weren't the ones who decided to make marjuana illegal. If scientists were allowed to make legal decisions, weed would have never been outlawed.

It was originally lobbyists from a large paper company that was in danger of being out out of business by a competitor that started making hemp paper. The lobbyists used the fact that the plant could be used as a recreational drug to get it banned (even though the paper & ropemaking breed of hemp is terrible to smoke), but they didn't really care about that. Their purpose was protecting the wood paper industry (which, by the way, is less environmentally friendly and more expensive than hemp paper even today).
|

replied May 1st, 2011
legal thc aka marinol
they do make a legal version of it its called marinol and with the right docs u can get it prescribed for add and adhd i am currently trying to get my doc to give it to me for that reason i do not like the side affects of the adderal that they have me taking and do not want to take any psyc meds because i feel they are far worse
|

replied September 22nd, 2011
The thing with marijuana, like any other drug, is it affects everyone differently. Some people become tired and unfocused, others become motivated and energetic. It all depends on how you handle certain drugs, you should definitely ask your doctor about your medical history, what improves your functions and what decreases activity. I'm currently looking into seeing what will work for me. In elementary school I was on ritalin, then switched to concerta for middle school. Entering highschool I neglected taking my medication and my grades dropped drastically, so badly I dropped out of school completely. 2 years later and I'm now back in school, with the same ADHD problems. I know my capabilities are high if I can put my mind to it, but it's sad for me to admit that I might need a little perscription help.
|

replied September 27th, 2011
My 32 year research program on ADHD and THC From 1979 to 2011
I was also born with A.D.H.D If you choose to call it a disorder that is. I was put through the "Full Gamut" of test and meds as a child. Then one day my mother had enough of society wanting to turn me into a zombie due to my differences. Fast forward here....> Then after the age of 21 and meeting the woman to become my first wife "not going into that at all". I tried my first "smoke" I was never more level-headed, less anxious, more focused in my life then when i was smoking. Of course different bud meant different levels of effect so I am not exactly sure what the THC dose should be. My proof of comparison is... When i was a child people thought i was high, spaced out, over energetic you name it i had all the adhd symptoms i managed to do really well in school due to my underlying determination and what some call intelligence. but I believe i would have done even better if i had the level of control over my mind i do now or even better when i smoked. I don't smoke anymore because its illegal and i like to keep a job. No one ever suspected that i was a smoker unless i told them. not even police that might pull me over to tell me about a blown tail light. I never felt or was told by anyone who was what most consider sober that i was acting impaired in any way. or weaving or driving to fast or too slow or working in a dangerous way. I am a strong advocate for the right to self medication using natural herbs. And were it legal and didn't threaten my job my employer would benefit from increased speed due to the fact i would trust what was in my mind as knowledge and not analyse every aspect of every scenario possible before making a logical decision on what to do about solving a problem.
|

replied November 25th, 2011
The Truth Will Set You and the WORLD FREE
cannabis is the best medicine in the entire world. Science is able to prove why it has such an ability to impact on so many diseases... ENDOCANNABINOIDS! We have a ever so prevalent system in our bodies which functions everything we do at a core level that JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE THERE TO RECEIVE CANNABIS COMPOUNDS!!!!! all governments are corrupt if they do not legalize and inform the ppl about this amazing plant... One day the ppl will have enough.. Everyone suffers nowadays... Everyone could have a better life with mother natures best gift to us...WEED AND HEMP! Seriously, it can cure cancer! (THERES PROOF! RICK SIMPSON) It can change the industrial world! It literally mimics our entire body and all its functions... I mean its almost enough for me to believe in an intelligent designer or creator...
|

replied December 21st, 2011
Yeah, although I voted it was unnaceptable, I do beleive in a way it's true that it can help with ADHD. The reason I think it's acceptable is because it calms the nerves, reducing impulsivity which is great for anyone who has ADHD as it promotes self-control to a higher degree.

However, I have to stand firm with what I have decided in that it's an unnacceptable way to treat the disorder, simply because of its adverse health effects. The more you use marijuana(I smoked in highschool quite a bit and yes it actually helped) though, for one you certainly become lazier and your wokr ethics and effort in life diminish, not only that but your mental abilities decline as well. Your short term memory will be adversely affected and if you really care about your intelligence this will effect your self-esteem and self-confidence adversely.

All in all, if you do have ADHD you won't react to it the way other people do. Some people freak out when there on it. The only time this happened to me was when I was realisitic about the chance I would be caught by my parents, lol, which is justified rather than and irrational paranoia that some people report experiencing. So if you just want to try it out a few times it's really not a big deal at all. I personally beleive it does a lot in making you a more peaceful and creative person as well. Try it out.

Also, if you haven't tried yoga, tai chi, and meditation yet, theyre freaking awesome. You'll pretty much feel the same results as you would if you were stoned minus the loss of motor skills and blurriness.
|

replied July 22nd, 2012
In your defense I believe marijuana is an unacceptable method to treat ADHD, only and only because it's illegal most everywhere, and it is just like a bandaid. On the other note For a long time i dealt with untreated ADHD/bipolar disorder. For I'm assuming as long as I can remember. Ive been through a lot. Anywhere from being med flighted from a music festival in Tennessee called bonnaroo on the first day I was there (This was I believe. 2009 or 2010) if you remember that or were there reply to my comment for a funny story. But anyway (ADHD) the point I was getting to, is ADHD and or bipolar left untreated can be a waste of your life in my opinion and self medication is just putting your life on hold. Your unable to find a happy medium when all your doing is street drugs coke, acid(bonnaroo experience) weed, etc. But this is they key I'm sure. You MUST find a doctor that's not a dumbasz and that will actually listen to you. Psychiatry is the most important and most life changing practice. Im almost done if your still interested to what I'm saying then you'll know that I'm right about my rambling, but point of all of this is that constant "craving" I call it, or the feeling like there is something you need but just can't find it no matter what you do. Fixing that is the door for your new life. And unimaginable knowledge but psychiatry is definately the key. Ok thanks for reviews and for reading my input
|

replied January 5th, 2012
I'm 30 and I've been smoking for over 15 years now. Before that I was a terrible person, loud, stressy, angry,... . I'm still angry sometimes and loud and all over the place. My son is 8 and also has adhd, school forces me to give him concerta and I have the feeling that I'm drugging him. Although I don't know if I woulk allow him to smoke dope wen he's older ( a lot older).
|

replied March 9th, 2012
Actually a question. Have teen on Concerta. Smoked some weed. Clean 30 days. Now pysch doc says cannot start him back on concerta for 6 months because that is what the "books" say. He is really upset. Need some facts on this.
|

replied June 11th, 2012
plmlpn, I don't have any professional experience but I am an 18 year old diagnosed with ADHD for the past year, I smoke regularly and am very open about it with my psych doctor I am also on concerta and he has never mentioned or seemed to think that it should be a problem that I do both.

Hope this helps
|

replied July 10th, 2012
i haven't tried marihuana but i tried hash once made me super-calm and happy. but then i got tired for 2 days.
I think smoking makes you tired, but add meds wake you up!
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...