Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

marijuana caused depression ?

Hello there,

Last year, I was spending quite a bit of time with a workmate. Sometimes, we'd get drunk, and he would smoke marijuana. I always shook my head 'no thanks' when he offered me some, until one day, I thought to myself 'why not?'
One thing led to another, and before I knew it, I was smoking all day every day, like, it just got way out of hand. I'd think 'Oh, this is fun, it's not hurting me'. However, it was when I ran out of the stuff that things started going funny; I'd get really, really depressed and feel sick to my stomach, and I'd get very agressive and snappy with others. It scared me so much I quit using pot, but the depression remains. I'm still snappy and grumpy and feel hopeless at times. I'm using efexor as a treatment, by the way. It seems to help a little.

thanx.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2008
Supporter
Hi there, Sorry to hear you're not feeling so great. marijuana use in high doses can lead to depression. if you've just stopped recently you're probably going through withdrawels. Take it easy though, it should pass with time. Good for you for realizing that it wasn't working for you and for taking action.
|

replied June 4th, 2008
Thanks. Nice to hear frm u.
Hello,
Actually, it's been about a year since my last use. I'm still struggling a bit with the depression though. I guess it was a difficult year all round anyway, with or without the weed. I mean, I had a number of things go wrong for me in 06/07, like, I had 3 rebound flings with complete no - hopers - in an attempt to get over my ex. I was turned down by the engineering company I look up to and admire, when I approached them, and well, yeah, it was just a crappy couple of years. Then there was the unhealthy friendships with a few jerks I had to end because they were just horrible, and, well, I could go on..
So, in sum, I suppose there was more to it than drugs. But I bet they didn't help.
Sorry for rambling.

CU
Opus.
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2008
Supporter
Sounds like you haven't had a very good year. Breaking up can get u pretty down. Plenty more fish in the sea though. I hope things turn around for you.

Take care,
Harmony
|

replied June 4th, 2008
I hope so too.
I got to a point there where I was convinced I had bad Karma and was somehow meant to suffer. Found a lump in my breast and didn't care. (It's shrunk now). I'm still worried about the Karma thing.

Thanx for your reply.
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2008
Supporter
Hi Opus : )
I think we all get a little bit of good in life and a little bit of bad in life. I believe a lot of what we go through has to do with past lives. I believe if we pass the tests and live a good life we'll be rewarded some day.

Take care,

Harmony1 xo
|

replied March 29th, 2009
I had a similar experience.
I had a similar experience. I smoke a few times in high school, and I've never been the same since. Been to countless doctors, little to no progress made as far as my depression going away.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....