Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

marijuana as depression cure (Page 1)

i think cannibus is one of the best/greatest drug on this earth to cure depression. lets get your opinions on this thread folks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper hiasakite
|

replied May 19th, 2008
pot and depression
For years I smoked pot for depression. I needed more and more, which caused me to lose my drive, decision making, memory, and status in life. I smoked way too much. This was 30 years agon. Now I've been depressed for over a year, and my meds are not working.

My depression is so bad that I tried pot again. It worked fine, but now it takes more and more to feel the effects. This is not going to work. Sticking with prescribed drugs is going to be much safer for me. I need to see my doctor since prescribed drugs are not killing the depression.
|

replied May 26th, 2008
studies seem to show that depression is among the long- term "side effects" of marijuana (that is, if used often/ much), so is loss of memory as updoewnman said. It might even cause psycosis.

So if you are to medicate yourself with it, please keep in mind that "all things are good in a certain ammount" or however you say that over there.
|

replied July 26th, 2011
The only loss of memory is short term and corrects itself when you stop using, if that's the only thing you have against marijuana how about you look up how bad the side affects of depression medications are. those drugs change your body and mind sometimes irrevocably.
I do agree however in moderation like anything else. the drugs aren't always the big problem its the people using them.
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2008
Supporter
I think the negatives outway the positives after long term use.
|

replied March 27th, 2009
marijuana is just as bad as prescription anti-depressants!
Ok marijuana is just like any other treatment for depression. It work while your using it, same with all anti-depressant drugs prescribed. The only thing I personally like about marijuana is it doesn't have such HUGE side effect like pills would, and you don't get a physically chemical dependency to marijuana as you do with prescription anti-depressant, plus anti-depression prescriptions make you feel different, like a fake happy like you want to cry but you can't. I don't like that!
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2009
Supporter
personally I don't like either. they cloud the issue instead of resolving the issue but each to their own.
|

replied March 30th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
i think 1st it has to do with who is using it and why. A lot of times marijuane is being used to run away or not feel. Like harmony 1 said it can cloud the issue instead of resolving it.

I feel that marijuana can and does have 100's of benefits for things ranging from pain management to anxiety releif. But it depends on the person and why they are using it.

Marijuan can be a drug if its treated like one. I say this based on my personal experience only.

I smoked for the 1st time when I was only 13. I loved it and started using everyday. I had a horrible childhood and used it for escape. Needless to say I became lazy and gave up high school. I lost all motivation. I abused marijuana. Marijuana is not meant to destroy people.

I started smoking again about 1 1/2 ago. When I would be in pain and to help my appetite. I also smoked when my back hurt so bad I couldnt sleep. I now smoke to relieve pain ans axiety. Only when I smoke to escape do I experience negative affects.

I dont know if any of this makes sense. All I know is I support marijuana for treatment of depression if used responsibly. But marijuana cannot be expected to cure depression. YOU have to DO something to get out of that funk.
|

replied April 18th, 2009
Marijuana for Depression
I have been made by order of law to quit using marijuana for two years. I currently 5 months into my court ordered abstention and I never wrestled with such depression and insomnia in my life. I've also tried every anti-depressant in the book and none of them work without atrocious side effects. Any suggestions
|

replied April 18th, 2009
marijuana and depression
Not sure how to respond. Ant-depressants don't work. I know too many people who are still on them and depressed and need more drugs or something else added. Marijuana has been the only thing that has given me any life that I do have. Everyone medicates in some way whether it is religion, politics, reading, excersize, eating (and that's a big one.) Look at how fat most people are. Life is very hard and the more we judge people and scrutinize them for what they do or how they do it just gets worse. Just know that this life and age is "evil." Jesus will conciliate the world to himself one day. It is His book and story and we are just a part of it. There is no Hell and doing enough good to go to heaven. Jesus took the sins of the world upon Himself. Do the best you can to keep the 10 commandments and then just forgive yourself for the rest. Jesus does. He holds nothing against you now. Again the saying goes, "your okay and I'm okay". Good luck!
|

replied April 18th, 2009
ontheflipside
actually, the bible says "You are saved by FAITH, not deeds". meaning that your belief in Christ is what saves you, not your deeds.

HOWEVER: beeing saved means you are supposed to do good to others, because you then take part in the eternal love of God and Jesus

Smile
|

replied April 19th, 2009
no need to be rude....
|

replied April 6th, 2010
I am 20 yrs old and was diagnosed at 18 with ms. my diesease caused me to go through a mild depression then my ms medication and pain med made it worse. recently all I have done was continue taking my ms meds without the anti depressant and the pain pill and replaced those with a small joint here and there with far better results. I was in less pain and I wasn''t depressed.
|

replied April 19th, 2010
Definitely yes for ganja
|

replied April 19th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Using marjuana to treat depression is a lot like using gasoline to smother a fire. There's certainly a chance that it won't blow up in your face. If you have the guidence of a professional you're chances go up fanstastically however there is a bountiful amount of better tools to solve the problem than something that is traditionally the cause.
Marijuana causes depression in people who are otherwise not subject to the disorder and agrrivates it in those that have a tendency towards it. It also can also spurn other anxiety-family disorders in those who are prone to them such as depression sufferrers. Depression and Anti-anxiety meds do have side effects but they don't include causing and worsenning anxiety or depression.
|

replied April 21st, 2010
Marijuana is a great distraction from depression. I still take my Celexa/webutrin though since it doesn''t completely solve it. Take as much drugs as you can.
|

replied July 9th, 2010
W0LF is clearly reiterating what he's been told about marijuana rather than speaking from personal experience.

I use marijuana to treat my own depression. I find that when I'm in the worst emotional states, if I smoke weed, I become cheered up almost immediately - I think entertaining thoughts. Depression is an irrational state of mind. It's all about how you feel. I find that the change of feeling combined with the change of perspective that marijuana gives me is just what I need to pull myself out of a depressed state.

As for saying "marijuana causes depression", I imagine that could happen as a result of the fact that marijuana opens your mind to new ideas. All psychedelic drugs do that and I've certainly had some depressing epiphanies while using them. However, I feel that I'm a better, wiser person for it at the end of the day. Other than that, becoming a lazy, fat stoner with no personal accomplishments could also cause depression - lol.
|

replied July 9th, 2010
Experienced User
I can't stand stoners. Half of you are really cool, but the other half of you need to come back down to earth.
|

replied July 7th, 2011
weed wins
It cures depression, especially the after buzz (perma fried), i have social phobia and extreme anxiety accompanied by agoraphobia, when im high, my depression goes away, and i can leave my house, it works, ssri's messed me up worse than dmt (serotonin storm), i was tripping Heavily for 7 weeks, my nightmares became real, i was living in a bad dream. 1 up for pot 10 down for prescribed antideps, oh and the first time i ever tried to kill my self was while i was on celexa.
|

replied July 9th, 2011
I have been on over 30 different medications for depression, anxiety, ADD etc. and marijuana has worked just as good or better than all of them. It's too expensive though, I don't get a whole lot done when I'm high, but it one of the only thing that helps mellow out the non-stop torture that I feel every moment of everyday otherwise. It's a travesty of justice that it is illegal to smoke pot though, here in Texas there is not about to be any medical marijuana legislation passed either....
|

replied July 26th, 2011
Marijuana User
I feel that if you have never ever tried marijuana then you have absolutely no right to speak about what it does to the individual or how it should be used.
I am 19 years old and I have been struggling with severe depression, anxiety, and a few learning disabilities since i was 13. I have tried to kill myself multiple times and I have been hospitalized for depression three times. I used to hate going out with friends and i was sleeping all day never wanting to leave my room.
This past year I started college and discovered weed and I have completely changed. Once i started smoking weed i didnt get anxiety attacks from work or school or stupid drama in my life. I smoke like one or two hits when im feeling stressed or sad and then i am released from all pain and bad feelings which consume me and make me feel worthless or make me want to reject life. I do not do it every day, I do not abuse it and I am not addicted to it.
I am an artist, I go out with my friends weekly now I have a full time job, I'm going to school for art and i make the grades, I have my own car and i can drive (not while stoned). I have never ever ever tried any other drugs, I dont even like alcohol. Weed does not destroy lives, people destroy their own lives.

And of course all drugs have pros and cons, I'm not saying its the best thing ever or the only thing that should be used or that everyone should use it, but for those who can use it and it does help it should be made available to them just like morphine, opiates, and other pain killers are to those who need them.
I wish you all peace and love and hope that those who are suffering from depression or anxiety know you are not alone. This life is a crazy short time, enjoy it while it lasts.
|
Tags: Depression
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....