Hello all,
First time on this forum….
So my life has had some major changes happening….
I had a pretty good schedule going on for about 2 years. I was on lamictal, seen my pdoc once a month, then he had me seeing a therapist 2 to 3 times a month. I went to the therapist because he said so, I did not really get much out of it. I honestly felt like a drug addict who just need that little piece of paper that would let me get my pills.
So a year ago I got laid off from my job, because of the economy. I tried to get health coverage, but quotes were coming in around 800 to a 1000 a month. And even had a few denial letters. Pre existing condition…..My former company did not offer cobra for some reason.
So do the math…
Pdoc-100.00
Lamicatl 350.00
Therapist 200 to 300 a month.
That is 650 to 750 a month.
Well this last year I have been dipping into my saving to keep up on my medication. Well savings is gone. My business has crashed because of the economy. I have been off meds for 2 months now. I have a college education, and I can’t find a job with health benefits. I am self employed and am averaging about 1400 a month give or take more on the take side.. It is not worth my while to take a job unless it offers health coverage. So I am having no luck. Since I have been off my meds, I have lost all productivity, and I am barley hanging on. A lot of anger issues. Sleeping has got all twisted around. About 4 weeks ago, I read some article about medical Marijuana. So I figured what the heck. Got a joint from a friend and gave it a shot.To my surprise it has helped out… Now I have not smoked pot since I was a teenager,(over 10 years ago) but I use it like this. 7am when I get up, I take 1 to 2 tokes. Then start my day. That is it. If I smoke to much it makes me paranoid. I smoke 3 to 4 times a week. Now it is no miracle drug. My symptoms un-medicated are major mood swings. Get agitated very easy. Have bouts of depression, not too often though. My sleeping pattern gets all out of control. Manic episodes. My mind processes faster than my body can, if that makes sense. Can’t remember anything. I have been diagnosed as bi polar, but not sure what type. My mom told me last week, that I am not that bad not being on meds, because I seem more mellow. She does not know of my self-medicating. Since I have been trying this marijuana thing, Most of my symptoms are under control. Level moods, Sleeping better. My mind is not racing which is helping my life get better organized. Is there anyone else out there who has had similar effects with Marijuana use. Am I heading down the wrong road and need to stop this asap….. Also Is there any government programs that help single males with no kids, who make just enough to survive, but can not afford insurance. Thanks for listening.
PS
I usually have a hard time keeping a job, which is why I like self employment.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper vaticnow
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2008
Hi aintern,

I'm new here too. I'm so sorry about your job situation.. I know what it's like to make just enough to survive :/ Health insurance is hard to come by these days. I have very cheap insurance through the state of michigan.. let me tell you, you really get what you pay for..

I have used marijuana recreationally since I was 17. I was diagnosed as bipolar 1 when I was 18. I've found that if I smoke a lot, I become sort of depressed and introverted. Also, marijuana is said to increase the chances of shizophrenia, so if you have that running in your family, it's probably not a good idea.

I wouldn't necessarily say it is a bad idea to smoke, but I've discovered that after about 3 years of smoking, I have lost the euphoric/goofy feeling from it. So, what I'm saying is, smoking in moderation is fine, but smoking too much can have some negative effects.
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2008
Supporter
I'd agree --- although medical marijuana can be helpful for cases of severe anxiety, I believe. aintern --- do you live in a state where MJ can be prescribed? Also, if you can provide me with the name of the city I can help you locate helpful resources for healthcare.
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2008
Experienced User
I don't know if you are willing to try this, but... I believe Starbucks gives employees full benefits for working at least 20 hours a week. It might be an option to tide you over until you find a regular job...

~soucie
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I see a few things going on here:

You have a college education, self employed as you can not hold a job working for someone else, no health insurance, self medicating yourself with MJ. You also said that you got laid off last year due to the economy.

If being self employed is not working out for you then getting back into the job market working for someone else I'd say where you need to go. However some companies will request a drug screen. Unemployment office / Career Center should be able to help you in finding a suitable job with Medical coverage, generally after the probation period has been satisfied with a clear drug screen.

I do not believe MJ is legal in Kentucky for medicinal purposes.

You may qualify for State Medical coverage. Check with them and see if you meet their requirements.

Good luck in your travels through life and hope all works out for you.

~Zig
|

replied July 11th, 2009
marijuana and bipolar
I totally agree with you. I was diagnosed with bipolar when I was 8 years old. I just recently started smoking when i was 18. I am 21 now. I dont smoke much but i also dont like taking the pills. i find it a lot more unhealthy to take pills then to smoke something that grows out of the ground on earth. I think that they should legalize it all together. But yes.... i deffinately agree. It deffinitely does help!!!!!
|
Users who thank christen212009 for this post: homerx 

replied July 16th, 2009
wake up ppl
It worries me to see how many ppl with bipolar or any mental illness for that matter smoking marijuana. Marijuana is a dangerous drug long term. It seriously harm up ur brain..and can give u mental illness..if u didn't already have it. As for these ppl claiming it calms down their Bipolar..so does valium and xanax. You are turning your brain in to a toxic chemical wasteland..pharmeceuticals for one thing..marijuana for the next...respect the meds u are on. how can u expext to get any better if u continue to smoke hash at the same time??
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2009
Community Volunteer
thats your opinion and we have ours...
|

replied July 23rd, 2009
And if you want to rebuttle to me, BE MY GUEST! I am open for debate!
|

replied July 25th, 2009
Medical Marijuana
When I was 16, I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar. Every since I was a young child, I have had "Behavioral Problems". In elementary school, the police were called on me two or even three time's. For the first eight year's, doctors tried to put me on riddeline, or however you spell it, because they thought I was add/adhd, but failed to recognized that If I was, my grades would not have been as tremendous as they were. Needless to say, my mom would not let them put me on that drug.. Thank god.. I moved to Maine, from Michigan, when I was 15, with my father. He did not support the use of Marijuana. Needless to say, I had to quit. When I quit, I was hospitalized for attempted suicide. My doctors put me on different regiments of Litium, Zyprexa, Depacote, Clonodine, Thorozine, so on and so forth. I was hospitalized 3 times from the time I was 16 to the time I was 17. The meds did not work. My father and I came to an agreement. I would try self medicating with Marijuana, and if it worked, he would not only let me use it, but buy it for me occasionally. Well, it worked. Since then, I have not had an episode, I held my Landscaping job for 4 years until the economy went to crap. I am now 21, and have been self medicating every since. Two years ago, Michigan adopted the "MMA/MMJ" law's. It is now legal medicine for particular medical issues. Well, two week's ago I was arrested for Possession of a Controlled Substance, my first offense, so I was eligible for what they call 7411. That is when on your first offense, you have two choices. A.) Suspension of license for 6 month's with the eligibility of a provisional license, or 6 months probation. I took the probation.... Bad move. Now, I have to get drug tested once a month. That mean's, no more self medicating for me. I am scared because when I was on "conventional medication", I was hospitalized twice after the first time, for the same thing... Attempted Suicide. I was forcefully stopped by both friends and family.. Since I have stopped my "conventional medication" regiment's and smoked Marijuana, I have not had an episode, nor got in any legal trouble with the exception of a speeding ticket. So, where do I go from here? Do I try to get bi-polar on the list of accepted illnesses? Do I try to get an exception for myself? Or do I have to prove once again that "conventional medications" don't work? I have and abundance of evidence, both in Medical History, Legal History, and family friends "some oppose the use of Marijuana, some use it themselves" who will vouch for me that it works.
|

replied July 25th, 2009
Bi Polar Medical Marijuana
One more thing. I, as a recently ex-Marijuana user, will state that the one definite negative about using THC is short-term-memory loss.
|

replied July 26th, 2009
I must say largely before i was diagnosed with bipolar II i was using a significant amount of weed everyday to keep me on an even keel and it really worked....perhaps made irritibility slightly worse. Let's try to focus on the positive experiences we've had as cannabis users to minimise what can of be an exhausting disorder to deal with. Perhaps i wont need 30mg zopiclone at night to get rest, if cannabis as a medical depressant could be prescribed........Just saying ya know.......
|
Users who thank madameceleste for this post: homerx 

replied September 20th, 2009
A month ago I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar I and put on Lithium. I also take Adderral to keep my energy up throughout the day and take ativan as needed.

It's been about 11 months since I've stopped self medicating with Marijuana. Prior to those 11 months, I had been self-medicating with Marijuana for about 2 years, on an almost daily basis. Now these past 11 months, I smoke on occasion and recreationally...usually averaging about 3-5 times a month, sometimes less.

I grow more angry and frustrated everyday at my traditional psychiatrist and my parents. I also get angry at our government for letting politics get in the way of needed unbiased research into Marijuana's effects on certain mental conditions, such as Bi-Polar disorder.

I’m paying so much money on these medications, as well as weekly visits to the shrink. He’s given 7 different kinds of medications in the last six months before finally settling on Lithium and the Bi-Polar diagnosis. Nothing he’s given me in terms of medications has really worked in calming me down the way Marijuana has. This includes the feelings of grounded-ness, a sense of ease and calm, as well as calmer thinking patterns.

My Psy doesn’t know what to do with me half the time. He doesn’t know why my mind was so medication resistant, hence needing to try 7 different medications. One possible explanation is because of the weed that I still occasionally smoked. But in one session I specifically asked him, if I smoke weed, 1 once a week and only once a week, will that affect my treatment and interfere with the medication I’m taking? He said no.

For the sake of staying in my house, my parents threatened to kick me out of the house for good if they catch me smoking weed again, I’ve decided to give up weed for the foreseeable future, completely, which means not even once in a while for recreational purposes.

I want to be optimistic and say that the meds will put me in a better mental state and control my moods in a safe and effective way…… but I hate to think that when future research comes out that MAY prove that smoking some weed IS much more effective and less toxic to the bodies than all previous traditional prescription meds, I hate to think of all the time wasted in believing in “traditional medicine”, but then again … I could be wrong…. I don’t know who or which side to believe in anymore.
|

replied October 10th, 2009
Risks associated with bipolar medications.
With any mental illness, it is a very long process to discover which legal RX medications work to stabilize out the moods of a patient, often taking years of trial and error and going through a host of terrible symptoms. Medicinal Marijuana is not for everyone. But... psychiatrists all over require their patients to try out drugs for months at a time to see if there is any benefit, often just having to deal with the unpleasant side effects to determine if the risk outweighs the benefit...why not add marijuana on to their list of substances to attempt as it is usually well tolerated by users when it is done so in a responsible manner. There is a risk associated with ANYTHING you ingest...that doesn't apply just to marijuana and medications for bipolar.
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2009
I agree completely ! i find that if i have just two drags - smoking in very small dosages i can focus a lot more and my thinking patterns are a lot more in order and i actually get things done instead of my mind racing all over the place. It does depend on what weed i am smoking - but it really makes a huge difference. I also get paranoid if i smoke too much... so one joint lasts me like up to 4 days sometimes. I don't call that abuse.

I live in South Africa and we get really good strands of marijuana here and some have proven to work better than others. I did not smoke for a long time as thought it made my condition worse but now i have realized that its the amount and the type of weed that i smoke that makes a difference. I am so glad i read this because i really thought that it helped me a lot.

I still take my prescribed Seroquel as a mood stabilizer and it works really well but its not very good on helping me focus. I had to come and live with my parents again because of my condition and they would be destroyed if they know i smoke marijuana... they simply would not understand so i hardly smoke. But i can vouch on the fact that it really does help a lot!

Unfortunately South Africa is a long way from prescribing it for medical use...
|

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2009
Community Volunteer
PANGRAM wrote:
I agree completely ! i find that if i have just two drags - smoking in very small dosages i can focus a lot more and my thinking patterns are a lot more in order and i actually get things done instead of my mind racing all over the place. It does depend on what weed i am smoking - but it really makes a huge difference. I also get paranoid if i smoke too much... so one joint lasts me like up to 4 days sometimes. I don't call that abuse.

I am the same way...one or two hits and I am good..that is not abuse at all.
|

replied March 11th, 2010
Bi Polar
Hi. I just found this site and it seems pretty cool. I have been diagnosed with bipolar II (cyclothymia/rapid cycling)disorder for the past 25 years of my life starting when I was 12. I have been to many many different Psychiatrists who all came up with more or less the same diagnosis. I have been on every type of pharmaceutical imaginable, the entire alphabet from Adderral to Lexapro to Zyprexa. None of these medications worked effectively and some even caused life threatening complications. I have been hospitalized several times and half a lifetime of taking the pills has left me with total hearing loss in one ear and a damaged liver.

I started smoking pot after I graduated from high school and found that it really really helped with my symptoms. My panic attacks and anxiety were managable. I no longer flew into fits of rage at the slightest perceived insult and best of all I was able to fall asleep without taking a handful of pills that caused me to feel like absolute crap the next day.

However, there were several times I stopped smoking pot, either becuse of family/community pressure or because my Psychiatrist would tell me horror stories about how bad pot was for a person with my condition.

After being hospitalized for the last time, I started talking to some cannibus doctors. Apparently, not only are the stories I had heard been greatly exaggerated (NOTE: I CAN ONLY SAY THAT THIS APPLIES TO MY PERSONAL CONDITION. ALWAYS CHECK POTENTIAL MEDICATION EFFECTS WITH A BOARD CERTIFIED PHYSICIAN YOU TRUST) but in truth, bipolar disorder (with proper medical history) is an valid illness for which cannibus is approved.

I have been smoking daily (couple hits in the morning, and quite a bit more before bedtime) for the past 4 years and have not suffered any ill effects. My need for pharmaceutical treatments has dropped by 90% and my quality of life is so much better.

IMO, this is what medical cannibus is about. Improving the quality of life for patients. YMMV
|
Users who thank CatManDo for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Thank you for your story,CatManDo. Is your name a Bob Segar reference? I saw him in concert in Atlanta 2 years ago and he is as good as ever...anyway,I have heard from a lot of people that there doctors would if they could prescribe marijuana.My doctor told me she would love to be able to prescribe it because she has seen the benefits first hand.Unfortunately,I live in a Southern Republican Bible belt state and the old morals still apply.I have used marijuana for my illness for years and it has been miraculous for me.I just wish it didnt make me a criminal.But I will continue to use it and to promote its medical benefits.Eventually,the tide will turn.Take care.
Peace and Love,
HomerX
|

replied March 13th, 2010
I found everyone’s comments in this forum extremely helpful. I am glad I found this forum as I have been contemplating the use of MJ for quite sometime. My story: I have been diagnosed Bipolar since the 90s, particularly after a good tour in the US Marines. As far as health care coverage, I receive 100% disability from the VA, and total disability from Social Security, therefore; availability to psychotherapists is no problem. I have been on literally every medication in the psychotropic arsenal; nothing has come remotely to working. I do not advocate that this will not work for everyone, this is just me. I live in a conservative state that will probably be the last to ever legalize MJ for med use. My question: Is there a way to obtain MJ without dealing with underground dealers and shady characters? I need help severely but I do not want to break the law.
---Thank You
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2010
Community Volunteer
it depends on what state your in..here is where it can be prescribed by a physician.
Alaska | California | Colorado | District of Columbia | Hawaii | Maine | Maryland | Michigan | Montana | Nevada | New Jersey | New Mexico | Oregon | Rhode Island | Vermont | Washington
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...