Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Margerine and it's potential effects

Hello!

I have recently found out about the dangers of margerine (how silly of me to remain oblivious to it until now), and i am quite worried. I have read some pretty disturbing stuff and i can't believe i've been constantly "poisoning" myself everyday. I've read that often consumption of margerine is likely to cause all kinds of heart conditions/cancer/and a bunch of other bad illnesses (you get my point).
The reason i'm writting to you is cause i've been eating margerine every single day since i was a small child (4-5 years) and i am 23 years old now. It's always been a part of my breakfast. I eat around 5-6-7-8 slices of bread with margerine and jam while drinking a tea everyday for almost my entire life, so i'm kind of an extreme consumator.
I don't currently feel bad in any way, i don't feel like there's anything wrong with me (except being pretty thin - i weight about 120 pounds and i'm almost 5 foot 6).
Still, i am worried about the effects this might have had on my body. Should i be worried ? Is there anything i should get checked out ?
I hope i used the corect forum section. Thank you so much and i hope i'm not wasting your time.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2013
Experienced User
There are many maybes here. Maybe you are fine, maybe you are poisoned, maybe you can be ok.

Here's what I know: Margarine is linked to transfats and heart disease. Even the new blends are bad because they are high in omega-6 fatty acids, which are linked to heart disease, and are loaded with preservatives, colorings and chemicals. There is nothing natural about margarine or butter substitutes.

I always recommend sticking to natural foods, including butter. Most people should not be eating more than 1 tsp a day, anyways. Butter has lots of different types of fats the body can use directly for building healthy tissues. It has natural vitamin A and calcium. There are numerous studies out now that shows butter does not increase risk of heart disease, except when linked to a high processed foods diet or consumed in unnatural quantities of 3-4 tablespoons per day.

In the end, it it your choice. You can ask your doctor for a stroke test, to see if your arteries are blocked, a cholesterol test and a liver function test, plus any others your doctor would recommend. Or just start to live a healthy life.

I started with a cholesterol of 333 and without meds, I lowered it 187. I used a natural diet. If I can do it, you can clear out a lifetime of margarine use, too.
|

replied August 27th, 2013
Thank you so much for your reply and as it happens, i have already switched to butter! I probably won't pay the doctor a visit though, i'll probably just sound ridiculous. It's easier to ask about it online!
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....