Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

manic episode - how do i convince him to get help?

My boyfriend is suffering from what I believe is a manic episode. Every day it changes. Yesterday he was angry and aggressive and today he was calm, but still angry at me. His behaviour alternates between nonsense stream of conciousness talking and short moments of rationality when he knows that something is wrong with him, but thinks that somehow im causing it.
he thinks that people are calling him and using my voice, and that I was the one who started this by 'drugging' him. I don't think my being around is helping, but his brother won't get him any help or even try to help him himself.

What can I do?

And will he hold on to the hate he feels for me now when he's better?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2012
Experienced User
Could be a manic episode indeed, and it sounds like he needs help; he's already manic, cycling rapidly, paranoid...and these things tend to get worse without some form of treatment. Right now he needs to see that something's wrong, but it does seem like he's going to be resistant to that idea, at least initially. You may be in a position to help him see, but it's definitely not an easy task.

I'd suggest looking around online and doing some reading before you talk to him; there are a number of sites that help provide support for family members, and some of those have suggestions for talking to loved ones who don't want to go to the doctor (you might start with the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance site).

As for what he'll hold on to after he's getting better, it's very hard to say. My wife had to call the ambulance for me (twice), and I'll admit I did hate that for quite a while--but today I know that what she did was was best for me under the circumstances. As for the...more paranoid musings of my sometimes manic mind regarding my wife, results were a bit more mixed. But I don't hate her, not for her actions nor my imaginings.
|

replied February 27th, 2012
Experienced User
The only time I was able to convince my ex to accept help was when he was threatened with being put into Adult Protective Services. Basically..hospitalized again. He knew that there was an increasing chance that he was one day going to be institutionalize for good.

But... as soon as things were quiet again..he would go off the meds (not tell anyone one, of course)..and the whole roller coaster ride would start again.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...