Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

mania lasts about one-two days

User Profile
I have two questions. First of all, can severe depression turn into bipolar disorder? I ask this because I've had several mental health evaluations throughout my life and I've always been found to have severe major depression, but was never told I am manic depressive. Over the last few years, however, I have noticed very occasional periods of (possible)mania that usually last about one-two days. I also seem to have an attentiveness problem (very easily distracted, thoughts racing), but this isn't consistent. My last seemingly manic episode was more intense than before. It lasted about four days, I felt like I was running on jet fuel, only needed 5 hours of sleep to spring out of bed (which is about half of what I usually need). There was no apparent change in my diet habits, or any habits at all. And while I'm usually a caffeine junkie, I was consuming very little during this time because I simply did not need it. Could I have a mild form of bipolar disorder?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2010
Bipolar Disorder Answer A17545
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by your depression changing course into bipolar disorder.
Bipolar disorder or manic-depressive disorder, is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a category of mood disorders defined by the presence of one or more episodes of abnormally elevated energy levels, cognition, and mood with or without one or more depressive episodes.
Bipolar disorder can appear to be unipolar depression. Diagnosing bipolar disorder is often difficult, even for mental health professionals. What distinguishes bipolar disorder from unipolar depression is that the affected person experiences states of mania and depression. Often bipolar is inconsistent among patients because some people feel depressed more often than not and experience little mania whereas others experience predominantly manic symptoms.
It is not possible to diagnose online and you must consult your personal physician for definitive diagnosis and management.
Hope this helps.Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.