User Profile
For the past two and a half weeks I have been getting pains right below my ribs. The pain is very random, and comes and goes. This pain is so painful, it wakes me from sleep 2-3 times per night. Sometimes more than that. In the past few days it has been pretty much gone. But this morning, I woke up in really bad pain. And now it won't go away. I saw a doctor on Monday and he wants me to do a urine test, and a blood test...I'm not too fond of needles, so I'm trying to find the answers I'm looking for. Pepcid and Pepto make the pain go away for a good amount of time. But I want it to go away for good.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2010
Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Answer A9802
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know how you can manage the pain that you experience.

There are several reasons why people can experience pain under the rib cage. If the pain is located on the right side below the rib cage in the mammary line and is pulsating, it may indicate gallbladder stones. If the pain is located under the right side of the rib cage and increases while breathing in, it may indicate enlargement of the liver due to infection, steatosis of the liver tissue or vascular problems. If the pain is located in the upper part of the abdomen or under the sternum and is related to the consumption of a meal and the type of food, it may indicate gastritis, acid reflux or ulcers. If the pain is located in the left side under the rib cage, it may indicate pancreatitis (if the pain irradiated towards the back and the shoulder blade) or enlarged spleen (due to infections or vascular issues).

To distinguish either of the possible conditions related to liver, spleen, pancreas and stomach issues, blood tests (white blood count to rule out infections, laboratory tests to rule out pancreatitis, bilirubinemia, hepatitis, and Helicobacter pylory infection) and urine tests (to rule out urinary infections and biliribinuria) should be done.

According to the data that you described you may be experiencing any of the conditions listed above. You may need to have blood and urine tests taken. You may consider looking at the opposite side when taking out blood for the tests to avoid losing consciousness.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis of your current condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Understanding the process of aging and its effects on the body can help us protect our health. But what is aging? And what can we expect as we age?...
Learn how genetics and time play a role in the aging process. Plus, information on how to avoid certain risk factors of aging and how to have a long life here....
The body deteriorates over time. But which systems are affected and how? We take a look at effects of aging on different processes and causes here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.