Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

major refactory depression.

User Profile
I need some advice, my boyfriend, or now exboyfriend, suffers from major refactory depression. He told me this from the beginning. He recently underwent some surgery for a broken leg. Before the surgery he was stable on his current meds. He was okay, after surgery. He was place on Percocet PRN for pain. He was healing great and no more pain meds needed. Once he stopped the percocet his mood changed. He wouldn't return my calls, would sleep thru most of the day and would blow up at me for no apparent reason. Yesterday, he came over to my place in tears saying we needed to break up so he could get some help. I agreed, but it still hurts me as well. I told him I would be here for him whenever he needed it. I did some research and found that oxycodone sometimes helps people with MDD. Do you think that may have played a role in what happened with him? And what is the best way I can help him thru this?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2011
Depression Answer A25252
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

I can understand your feelings and it is appreciable that you care for him so much but kindly do not self medicate him as Oxycodone can have serious side effects at times.It can even cause respiratory depression in overdose.
It might be possible that the effect he is having is due to Percocet intake for sometime.Consider visiting a Psychiatrist for his evaluation and if required he can have counselling sessions which really help people come out of the situation.

Take Care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.