Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Maintaining weight on treatment

Hi everyone,

A little background info - I was diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid about 5 years ago. I have a lump/swollen thyroid on my neck, irregular heartbeat (too fast) and stage 1 hypertension (I'm 5"9 and weigh 145lb so pretty healthy). I also have a swollen lymph node under my left arm.

I have been prescribed 40mg of carbimazole a day until I see a consultant at my hospital's endocrine unit. I have read on so many websites, blogs, forums etc that people on meds to treat hyperthyroidism gain weight even with healthy eating and exercise.

What I want to know is does this happen to everyone? Does everyone on carbimazole or other medication gain weight regardless of their efforts? Has anyone been able to maintain their weight whilst on treatment? If so how?

It sounds very vain but I am terrified! When I was first diagnosed 5 years ago I stopped taking my meds for this reason but it has now got to the point where I have to get treatment.

Share your experiences, I appreciate your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern.
Carbimazole only causes weight gain when there is poor compliance,poorly controlled thyroid functions or not using thyroxine in case of TSH rises above high reference range.
I would suggest you to do excercise,use modified Atkins diet and keep your thyroid functions well controlled.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern.
Carbimazole only causes weight gain when there is poor compliance,poorly controlled thyroid functions or not using thyroxine in case of TSH rises above high reference range.
I would suggest you to do excercise,use modified Atkins diet and keep your thyroid functions well controlled.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.