Hi everyone, I was just told I have a lytic bone lesion near my elbow. After going to a regular doctor, a regular orthopedic doctor has referred me to an orthopedic oncologist. I have had an xray and an MRI. The oncologist has requested I have an MRI with contrast and a ct scan before the appointment. Now, taking a deep breath I am wondering about the road I am on. What should I expect? Any sites you can recommend for more information?

(Although I can't imagine the two being related, perhaps I should mention I have COPD, my FEV1 is 26% and I'm on oxygen 24/7. )

Thanks for any information,
AndoraFL
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2010
You do not indicate your age, or whether you are male or female. Since these factors are important in terms of trying to predict what this lesion MIGHT represent, it is difficult for me to answer your questions.

Certainly, the first consideration is to determine whether this is a benign lesion or a malignant lesion. If it is malignant, then the next question that must be answered is whether or not this is a primary bone cancer versus a cancer that has spread to the bone from some other place. (At some point, a biopsy of this lesion may have to be performed to obtain a specific diagnosis.)

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race" (2010)

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied November 5th, 2010
Thanks for your information Dr. Wascher. The information I left out is that I am a 60 year old female. Any more information would be helpful.
Thanks,
AndoraFL
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bone Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.