Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Lupus lead to kidney failure ?

I have been suffering from kidney malfunction due to lupus. Does it leads to kidney transplant in future...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 1st, 2010
It can lead to kidney transplant if you do not take your meds as prescribed. Sometimes you will have to take high doses of steroids, which have awful side effects and that causes some patients to lower their dose or quit taking it without telling their doctor. This can be very dangerous. Spilling protein damages your kidneys, and unfortunately at this time prednisone along with Cell Cept seem to be the only thing I know of that helps lower the amount of protein spilled. (Also cytoxin-sp?- which is chemotherapy, but I refuse to take it.) If your condition worsens a lot you would most likely go on dialysis and that could possibly lead to needing a transplant. Most people that I have known or heard of having lupus nephritis, including myself, maintain fine as long as they take their meds and see their rheumatologist regularly. There are two new drugs being tested right now that are the first new drugs for lupus in 50 years. One of them is actually already prescribed for rheumatoid arthritis but they are doing trials for lupus kidney disease patients, and the other drug is for lupus and has already gone through all the testing and is in the application process with the FDA to get put on the market - its called Benlysta. Hopefully these new drugs will really change things for us and make our lives easier.
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
Hi good evening!!! I'm really hopeful that something can be done to ease the life if lupus patients like me!!! Godbless!!!
|

replied July 27th, 2011
I have been on Benlysta for 4 infusions. Thinga are going well but I've been having lower pack pain. I've had this pain before. It's constant pain. Any feed back would be great! EM
|
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...