Dear EHealth Community,

I have been having some chest/breathing/anxiety releated problems for 2 weeks now. I want to make my symptoms as clear as possible for your online diagnosis so I will go back to the beginning.

I have taken a trip with my g/f to Tokyo, Japan. I have been here for 3 months now and am about to leave in 3 days back to Texas. Prior I have been here twice, last Christmas for 2 weeks, and Last June for a month. This 3rd time around at about the 2 and a half month mark, I began having these problems. And yes, I was smoking cigarettes when it first started. Very stupid habit that may now have really damaged me. I have smoked on and off for 3 years. I am a 20 year old male. So when I was smoking here in Tokyo, I noticed that the last 5 times I smoked a cigarette, I would have a weird pain sensation in my lungs area afterwards. Almost like pinched nerves. After that I of course, threw my pack far FAAAR away fearing the worst, lung cancer. So 2 days after, I found myself hard to breathe. Not gasping for air, but feeling as if when I breathe, i'm not getting the air into my lungs at the normal rate. Make sense? Well so of course I was overwhelmed with anxiety. THEN I had my very first heart palpitation, which was the weirdest sensation ever. Almost as if my entire chest went hollow with nothing but my heart inside beating hard. Soon after, I was having tremors in random parts of my body, mainly my legs and hands. Then later on, I started feeling this pressure in the middle of my chest. Almost as if someone was sitting a tiny bean bag in the middle of my chest just below my neck. Also my chest would feel hollow, espiecially when bending over. And pinched nerve feelings would randomly follow around the chest/lung area. So I was having hard anxiety, paranoia, and searching the net for anything and everything it could be. So after a week, the breathing irregularity subsided as well as the hollow feeling in the chest and I felt like I was breathing normal again. Maybe I have gotten used to the irregular breathing, or it really did go back to normal??? BUT now I have developed mucus in the back of my throat. No I don't have any sniffles or any mucus in the nose. I also have a dry cough due to my throat being itchy probably due to the mucus in the back. I am clearing my throat a lot as well as coughing dry and drinking a lot of water to clear the mucus. Now just maybe 30 minutes ago, I took a deep breath, as I was testing the air capacity in my lungs and literally felt as if something had "unstuck" in my left lung. So of course now i'm worried again. Before this I was telling myself i'm just developing usual yearly sickness or allergies. But I have no mucus in my nose to make me sniffle. I don't have any wheezing, trouble swDear (Whoever),

I have been having some chest/breathing/anxiety releated problems for 2 weeks now. I want to make my symptoms as clear as possible for your online diagnosis so I will go back to the beginning.

I have taken a trip with my g/f to Tokyo, Japan. I have been here for 3 months now and am about to leave in 3 days back to Texas. Prior I have been here twice, last Christmas for 2 weeks, and Last June for a month. This 3rd time around at about the 2 and a half month mark, I began having these problems. And yes, I was smoking cigarettes when it first started. Very stupid habit that may now have really damaged me. I have smoked on and off for 3 years. I am a 20 year old male. So when I was smoking here in Tokyo, I noticed that the last 5 times I smoked a cigarette, I would have a weird pain sensation in my lungs area afterwards. Almost like pinched nerves. After that I of course, threw my pack far FAAAR away fearing the worst, lung cancer. So 2 days after, I found myself hard to breathe. Not gasping for air, but feeling as if when I breathe, i'm not getting the air into my lungs at the normal rate. Make sense? Well so of course I was overwhelmed with anxiety. THEN I had my very first heart palpitation, which was the weirdest sensation ever. Almost as if my entire chest went hollow with nothing but my heart inside beating hard. Soon after, I was having tremors in random parts of my body, mainly my legs and hands. Then later on, I started feeling this pressure in the middle of my chest. Almost as if someone was sitting a tiny bean bag in the middle of my chest just below my neck. Also my chest would feel hollow, espiecially when bending over. And pinched nerve feelings would randomly follow around the chest/lung area. So I was having hard anxiety, paranoia, and searching the net for anything and everything it could be. So after a week, the breathing irregularity subsided as well as the hollow feeling in the chest and I felt like I was breathing normal again. Maybe I have gotten used to the irregular breathing, or it really did go back to normal??? BUT now I have developed mucus in the back of my throat. No I don't have any sniffles or any mucus in the nose. I also have a dry cough due to my throat being itchy probably due to the mucus in the back. I am clearing my throat a lot as well as coughing dry and drinking a lot of water to clear the mucus. Now just maybe 30 minutes ago, I took a deep breath, as I was testing the air capacity in my lungs and literally felt as if something had "unstuck" in my left lung. So of course now i'm worried again. Before this I was telling myself i'm just developing usual yearly sickness or allergies. But I have no mucus in my nose to make me sniffle. I don't have any wheezing, trouble swallowing, or coughing up any flem. Just mucus in the back of my throat.

Please Note: I did take a trip away from Tokyo to the other side of Japan in a city called Kyoto. When I was there, I found my symptoms to subside greatly. When I came back to Tokyo recently, the itchy throat pain, mucus, and feeling of lung stickiness took place.

Also some side Notes: I know that I have a pretty bad case of GERD. I have not been diagnosed, because i've grown up with it all my life, and never bothered to check with a doctor to confirm it. GERD never really bothered me except for some pretty intense burning pains in the chest and throat when I breathe or swallow after eating but I got used to it. I would also have burning sensations around the area of my chest where my heart is. However, I have had severe bouts in the last year or 2. I almost get acid reflux after every meal I eat. Severe long lasting burns in my chest and throat that do bring me short of breath, as well as burning sensations around the area where my heart would be making me worried that I am on the verge of a heart attack. I'll even burp from a meal and completely rugurgitate some of my food with no feeling of nausea before hand. I think it is because I eat entirely to fast. Always have. Could all this be GERD? It does run in my mom's side of the family. Can GERD cause a build up of mucus in the back of the throat??? Can it make your throat become itchy and cause a dry cough I did go to the doctor a month before my problems due to possible GERD related problems. My digestive system was on 24/7 diahrrea mode for 5 months. The doctor's here could not make out what it was, and I don't have much $ to get a colonosopy to furhter follow up on the problems, but the lower back/intestant pain has subsided but my stools still come out either soft or hard randomly. Point is I had a full blood test done when I went to the doctor here for my Digestive Problems and all came back as i'm healthy. Not sure if that helps anything, but I want to throw as much details in for you as possible. ALSO I was born a preemie. 1 pound 8 ounces if I remember correctly. I was an abortion that survived pretty much. When I was born, my lungs were still stuck together as well as some parts of my body had not developed. I to this day, have scar tissue in my lungs due to tubes being put into my lungs to help me breath when I was first born.

I'm just really wanting to know if i'm overreacting to something like allergies or bronchitus, or if it is something more serious like emphysema, COPD, lung cancer, etc etc etc.
OR if this could not be lung releated at all, and be acid reflux related. (GERD)

Should I just sit this out and hope for a natural body recovery, or see a doctor immediately???

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this, and giving a reply back. It means more than you know!

-Garrett A. Brown

P.S. Please excuse my mis-spelling. allowing, or coughing up any flem. Just mucus in the back of my throat.

Please Note: I did take a trip away from Tokyo to the other side of Japan in a city called Kyoto. When I was there, I found my symptoms to subside greatly. When I came back to Tokyo recently, the itchy throat pain, mucus, and feeling of lung stickiness took place.

Also some side Notes: I know that I have a pretty bad case of GERD. I have not been diagnosed, because i've grown up with it all my life, and never bothered to check with a doctor to confirm it. GERD never really bothered me except for some pretty intense burning pains in the chest and throat after eating but I got used to it. I would also have burning sensations around the area of my chest where my heart is. However, I have had severe bouts in the last year or 2. I almost get acid reflux after every meal I eat. Severe long lasting burns in my chest and throat that do bring me short of breath, as well as burning sensations around the area where my heart would be making me worried that I am on the verge of a heart attack. I'll even burp from a meal and completely rugurgitate some of my food with no feeling of nausea before hand. I think it is because I eat entirely to fast. Always have. Could all this be GERD? It does run in my mom's side of the family. Can GERD cause a build up of mucus in the back of the throat??? Can it make your throat become itchy and cause a dry cough I did go to the doctor a month before my problems due to possible GERD related problems. My digestive system was on 24/7 diahrrea mode for 5 months. The doctor's here could not make out what it was, and I don't have much $ to get a colonosopy to furhter follow up on the problems, but the lower back/intestant pain has subsided but my stools still come out either soft or hard randomly. Point is I had a full blood test done when I went to the doctor here for my Digestive Problems and all came back as i'm healthy. Not sure if that helps anything, but I want to throw as much details in for you as possible. ALSO I was born a preemie. 1 pound 8 ounces if I remember correctly. I was an abortion that survived pretty much. When I was born, my lungs were still stuck together as well as some parts of my body had not developed. I to this day, have scar tissue in my lungs due to tubes being put into my lungs to help me breath when I was first born.

I'm just really wanting to know if i'm overreacting to something like allergies or bronchitus, or if it is something more serious like emphysema, COPD, lung cancer, etc etc etc.
OR if this could not be lung releated at all, and be acid reflux related. (GERD)

Should I just sit this out and hope for a natural body recovery, or see a doctor immediately???

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this, and giving a reply back. It means more than you know! havemail

-Garrett A. Brown

P.S. Please excuse my mis-spelling.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 2nd, 2012
GERD or Lungs?
Dear,
Ever heard of DOCTORS?
This kind of question is why they went to medical school.
Go and consult with a GASTROENTEROLOGIST, and an ALLERGIST, followed by a PULMONOLOGIST.
Good luck
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
GERD affects up to 20% of all American adults. But what are the characteristics of this gastro-intestinal disease? And what are some effects of GERD?...
GERD can be uncomfortable. But who is at risk of developing GERD? And what muscle is responsible for GERD? Read on for risk factors and causes of GERD here....
How do you know if you're having heartburn or a heart attack? We define symptoms of both ... plus details on when to seek help for GERD here....