User Profile
I have been mowing lawns a lot this summer and have been diagnosed with costochondritis. The pain is around my sternum and ribcage but also hurts the most when I lay down at night (particularly on the left side of my body where my heart is). The chest tightness symptom is one I experience several times a day that is very uncomfortable. I try to take Aspirin or Ibuprofen with Tylenol to combat the inflammation and pain but the symptoms only get better for a day or two before the sternum/ribcage pain is back and then I'm constantly reaching for the OTC pain meds to help. I don't want to take Ibuprofen (or Aspirin) with Tylenol for too long but I'm not sure if I should look to see my P.A. again, ask a pulmonologist, or what more I need to do to address this issue?

I've been dealing with asthma for 9 years and I'm not using my inhalers currently because of problems I'm having with coughing after using them which makes my asthma worse, so maybe a pulmonologist would be best for this?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2018
Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Answer A64319
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
As you have two problems,I would suggest you to consult internist who will evaluate you and will help you in a better way.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lungs and Respiratory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.