User Profile
I've had chronic dyspnea since this past (late) January of 2018. I am always feeling like I am short of breath and air. I am told it could be a somatoform disorder, but I don't know how to convey that to my doctor. He doesn't really believe in those kinds of disorders, but he thinks that it is likely my asthma, allergies, and coming off synthetic testosterone gels that is doing it for me. I find personally that taking Dextroamphetamine tablets (or any stimulant for that matter) seems to make my dyspnea a lot worse. I am worried about Cushing's Syndrome and have had a lot of significant bloating since around this past early March. It is predominantly (if not all) bloating in the abdominal region right by my stomach/belly. I have noticed I've been retaining water a lot more, but am also taking DHEA 10 mg daily as capsules (two 5 mg capsules). Endocrinologist won't check cortisol for another 3 months, is it worth waiting until then with these pressing concerns? Can I see new doc

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2018
Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Answer A64144
Hello and welcome to EHF,

I appreciate your concern,

I think your doctor might be right in this case as cushing syndrome doesn't usually cause dyspnea and if he said it's asthma,he must have examined your chest,it's wheezy when the person is asthmatic.More than 85% cases of dyspnea are due to asthma.DHE has the exact opposite action on the body to that of the cortisol, so it can't be the cause.
The main cause of cushing syndrome in most cases is exogenous corticosteroid use,which you didn't use.
I don't think your need to see a new doctor for this.Take anti asthmatics regulary,I hope it'll help improve your dyspnea.

Wishing you the best of health
Thank you.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Asthma
Quick Reply
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lungs and Respiratory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.