Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Tuberculosis Forum

Lung scarring and fibrosis post tb medication.

I was diagnosed with pulmonary tuberculosis in Jan 2014. Started with my medication religiously and took them for 12 months. Post that my doctor informed me that i was fully cured of the disease and asked me to do some breathing exercises. After my medication i felt fine and started living a normal life. I didn't much about the exercises and since I felt like fully cured. Anyway last year in the month of September 2017 i started having shortness of breath and heaviness in my left lung. I visited my doc and I had a pulmonary function test along with an xray. My doctor informed me that i have a scar and nothing else and further prescribed me some anti allergic medicines.
Any even after 6 months since the discomfort of my lung did not go away, i again visited my doc and also had a ct scan. This time my doc informed me that i have a scar in my left lung which was due to the damage which the bacteria caused to my lung. He further told me that due to the scar there has been a little bit of fibrosis but there is nothing to worry about and that i am getting mentally stressed out. He prescribed me certain vitamins and anti allergic medicines. I also had a pulmonary function test which was normal and my blood saturation level has also been above 95% so he also ruled out asthma. Now even though my doc says that i have a little bit of fibrosis which is a sequelae but the fact is that these past 6-7 months have been terrible. Shortness of breath, weird feeling in the chest, heaviness, fatigue, difficulty while speaking etc have been troubling me. The weird fact is that all this has started just 6-7 months back whereas i finished my tb medication 3 years back. What is a fibrosis, what is the remedy, what should I do to tackle the symptoms, will the symptoms persist through my life, how to go about things??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Obstructive lung disease is a recognized and documented complication of pulmonary tuberculosis. I would suggest you bronchodilator
like terbutaline and salmeterol inhaler to overcome this problem. Its permanent problem.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Asthma
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Tuberculosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.