Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

lung repair after quitting smoking

User Profile
I have been having a debate regarding the lung repairing itself after you quit smoking. I said that the lung does repair some after quitting. Could I get facts. I know it would depend on how much damage, how healthy the quitter is etc. But I do need some facts to give her.
Thank you for your help,
Shysnana
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 13th, 2010
first 1-2 years, the damage is greatly reduced, however, it may well take up to 13 yrs before average functioning is restored... At least it keeps geting better. Well done!
|

replied September 14th, 2010
I smoked for 45 years and quit in 2003. My lungs have totally healed, I used to cough constantly at night and I used to have vision problems.

Frank
|

replied November 1st, 2010
well i hope my lungs get better , i just quit in July ..after 30 years of smoking and i started hiking / walking ..i still have a cough but hope it will go away.
|
Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....