Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Lumps that interfere with swallowing and tumors

User Profile
Hi,

I am a 27 year old female. I have two children and I have never had any serious illness or complaints. I am usually healthy.

Over the past 10 months, I have had irregular periods, and urine infections coming and going. I went to the doctor, and she didn't even test my urine! She just gave me a prescription for the pill, and told me it will sort out my hormonal imballance?

Anyway, it has to a degree, but I have had a cough for 4 months and over the last 3 months my nose has been bleeding. I found a lump in my neck the other day about the size of a golf ball cut in half. It is in the hollow of my neck, in between the collar bones, and I can feel it stopping me swallowing normally. Food is getting stuck at that particular area. I also feel as if I am not breathing properly.

My doctor couldn't give me an appointment this week, but I went to a walk in clinic and they have sent me for blood tests but told me my doctor has to send me for an ultra sound. What is this?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2009
Chest Pain Answer A6940

It is not quite clear how you managed to detect the ball that interferes with swallowing. If you touched it under the skin in the frontal neck area right over the sternum (chest bone), then you might have touched an enlarged thyroid gland. There might be several diagnoses that include an enlarged thyroid gland. Hypothireosis is a condition in which the thyroid gland produces less thyroxin (thyroid hormone), while the tissue grows larger to try to compensate for the low levels of thyroxin in the blood. This might also be initiated if the pituitary gland, which is a controller of many glands in the body including the thyroid gland, is affected by a disorder.

A tumor might be found in the thyroid gland and might be presented as a solitary bump attached to the thyroid gland.

The lump that interferes with the swallowing might be located in the esophagus. The pressure that the lump puts on the laryngeal nerve which passes in the vicinity might have caused the coughing reflex to trigger more often, when there is nothing to be coughed out. Having in consideration the fact that you had a family history of many tumors, it seems possible that the lump might be caused by a tumor of the esophagus.

If the lump is found to be part of the esophagus, then an esophagoscopy (method of visual examination of the esophagus) might be needed. During the esophagoscopy, a piece of the lump might be taken as a part of the biopsy procedure.

Please note that every tumor does not necessarily have to be malignant representing cancer. Certain of the tumors might be benign, but this is usually determined with a biopsy. And this condition still might be caused by inadequate function of the thyroid gland which is not such a serious condition as cancer, but has to be treated in order to prevent other complications.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.