Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

lump under the skin by my ear going down my jaw line?

User Profile
I found a lump under the skin by my ear going down my jaw line it's getting bigger and theres also one on my left side of my face under the jaw by the trout also on top of my head have one they hurt ones as long as my finger should I be worried the one by my ear on the left side I can feel a long mass and it feels hard I press on it and it hurts my sister was 32 when she got cancer I'm 32 now were a year apart I'm scared to get tested now but she had cervical cancer

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2012
Cancers Answer A30563
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The description of the lump (Location and the tenderness) indicates it to be a enlarged lymph node, ‎‎associated with a transient infection in the dentition or in the nasopharyngeal region.‎

Lymph node enlargement is a very common sign and can cause many people to get stressed and ‎‎‎€Žlose their sleep. A few major symptoms and danger signs can help you differentiate very common ‎‎benign conditions and from those indicating conditions like €Žcancer and chronic diseases.

Symptoms like persistent fever, weight loss, night sweats along with multiple enlarged, painless lymph ‎‎nodes may indicate conditions like lymphoma or cancer.‎

You might consult a doctor for a physical examination and if needed a course of antibiotics, to help ‎‎clear any asymptomatic infections. ‎

In case of doubt, and if the lump has lasted more then 4-6 weeks, a ‎biopsy of the ‎lymph nodes for a definitive ‎diagnosis might be helpful.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.