Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Lump under earlobe

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
Yesterday I noticed a strange lump on the right side of my face. It's almost underneath where the earlobe attached to my face, right on the edge of my face and ear. I noticed it when my face felt very warm, and went to touch it. The lump itself is about 3/4 of an inch, you can't see it but you can feel it and it's warm, and if you press on it you can feel it throbbing. It's firm but not solid. It doesn't hurt but it kind of feels swollen, I feel it there but it's not uncomfortable. I have an appointment with my regular doctor in a week and a half but I'm nervous when it comes to strange lumps and wonder if it should be checked out sooner. Any ideas?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2009
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A7682
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth's Ask a Doctor forum.

A lump that feels warm and is present on the side of the face (underneath where the earlobe attached to my face) could be a swollen lymph node or a chronically inflamed parotid gland or a parotid abscess (localized collection of pus) or an abscess not involving the parotid gland.

Many other swellings are also present in this area but they are not warm to touch such as lipoma (localized collection of fat), tumor of the parotid gland, pleomorphic adenoma and Warthin's tumor.

Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.