Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Forum

Lump on wrist when bent

Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....
User Profile
Last night I noticed if I bend my left wrist a lump pops up under the skin in the wrist area. What is this? It does not hurt, but I have a feeling I injured it by constantly falling asleep and laying my head on my hand with my wrist bent. When I woke up from laying in this position is when I noticed the lump. Any suggestions?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied August 12th, 2010
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Answer A15206
Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out.

The possibility is of a ganglion cyst. These cysts can be painful especially when they first appear and with constant or strenuous use of the hand or wrist and are usually found at the base of the finger on palms.

Putting a needle into the ganglion cyst and aspirating the fluid may work. However, the gelatinous fluid within the cyst does not always come through a needle very well.

Furthermore, this treatment leaves the cyst lining behind, and the ganglion cyst will return about 50% of the time.

The definitive treatment is to remove the ganglion cyst with a surgical procedure. In surgery, the wrist ganglion is "shelled out," meaning the fluid and the sac are removed.

In addition, the connection to the joint or tendon sheath that supplied the fluid can be occluded. Please do consult an orthopedic surgeon for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Carpal Tunnel Syndrome , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.