Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Lump on sternocleidomastoid

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi there,

I'm a 19 year old female and yesterday I found a lump on the right side of my neck. After looking online for the exact location, it appears to be on my sternocleidomastoid. It's a little bigger than a 5.5 ring size, it's smooth and I would say it doesn't hurt more than hurt. And for about the past week I've been waking up sweating but haven't had a fever, and for the past couple days I've had a sore throat. I'm just wondering if I should be concerned. I more or less am trying to ignore it for the time being but I know I should probably get it looked at. I just need some confirmation whether or not to be worried.

Thanks a lot.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2017

Based on the description it is possible that the lump you have described could be a enlarged lymph node

Lymph nodes are part of the lymphatic system, where white blood cells (lymphocytes) mature and ‎‎‎undergo clonal multiplication. The lymphocytes are important for fighting the infection and clearing the ‎‎‎viruses and bacteria from the body. Hence during any inflammation or infection it is common for the lymph nodes to ‎‎‎increase in size and also become a bit tender (pain on application of pressure). ‎

In occasional cases, it is common for some nodes to be continuously active and hence appear enlarged permanently.

In such cases , treatment with antibiotics and other anti-inflammatory measures can help to resolve the condition.

It would be recommended that you consult with your doctor and seek a proper medical opinion.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.