Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Lump on left side of skull

I am a 20 year old female. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a bony lump on the left side of my skull. I don't know how long it has been there, but I'm sure I would have noticed it before now. It is behind my ear, near the top of the ear. It is hard, like a bone, and it feels like it is attached to my skull. The skin moves freely over it, and I cannot pinch it or move it around. It doesn't hurt when I touch it. It is about the size of a large grape in diameter, and it is probably elevated about 6-7 mm above the rest of my skull. What could this be? Is this something I should be worried about?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
rgragg15,

Hard lumps about the scalp region are actually very common. Some are benign bony growths called an exostosis, a sort of flat bone spur. Some are actually soft tissue masses, which can feel very firm and hard.

The fact that it does not hurt is a very good sign, as malignancies are usually painful.

The only way to know for sure what it is, is to have it checked by a physician. An x-ray or other study may also be necessary. But, bone cancers are actually quite rare, so don't worry too much about it, till you have had it examined.

Good luck.
|

replied February 18th, 2012
Please Reply
To whom it may concern,

I also feel a hard lump on the left side of my head but it hurts, and i also have so much headaches. i don't think its a tumor nor a hit. it had been for a while. Can you please inform or explain what this could be? thanks
|

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Darine,

Without an examination and maybe some screening x-rays it is not possible to tell. That are many things that can cause lumps and bumps around the skull.

These can include soft tissue cysts or bony overgrowths.

If it is really bothering you, see your physician.

Good luck.
|