Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

Lump on heel is hard but not bone and not fluid ?

User Profile
I have had a small lump on the back of my heel, level with the top of my shoe, for around 4 years. It is circular, around 6/7mm in diameter and is mobile(not attached to the bone) It doesn't hurt unless rubbed by shoes when walking. It is more irritating than anything but just hasn't gone away of it's own accord. Just wondered if anyone had any idea of what it could be. It is hard but not bone and not fluid filled either.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
CrazyOne,

You have what is known as a "pump bump". Also called a Haglund deformity.

In the early stages it is just a thickening of the skin into a callus. If the callus is due to a bone spur at the attachment of the Achilles tendon, it is then called the Haglund deformity. This bone spur can cause irritation of the Achilles tendon, leading to further swelling and thickening of the tissues in the area.

The skin callus is usually caused by rubbing or pressure from the back of one’s low cut shoes. Make sure your shoes are well fitting. You can also get special pads to cover the area and protect it.

If it is really bothering you, then you may want to see a podiatrist (a DPM) or an orthopedic surgeon.

Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2012
Thanks Gaelic. I couldn't seem to find anything remotely relevant on the web. I am seeing an orthopeadic surgeon about my Hallux Rigidus and tendonosis on my other foot but keep forgetting to mention this problem.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....