Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Lump in the throat

For the past six months, I've been experiencing an on and off sensation of a lump in my throat. I've been to doctors several times about this and they've all looked at my throat and given me the all clear... I do have GERD and take nexium which is keeping it under control. I also have started getting minor stomach pains. Any idea what the heck this is?! It's located in the oropharynx area. Here's a picture: https://ibb.co/m53hMJ
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2018
Welcome to e health forum.

Some people feel as if they have a lump or mass in their throat when no mass is actually there. If this sensation is unrelated to swallowing, it is termed globus sensation, or globus hystericus (which does not mean the person is hysterical).

Globus sensation is an overwhelming feeling of a lump or foreign object being lodged in a person's throat.

It is not sure what causes globus sensation. It may involve increased muscle tension in muscles of the throat or just below the throat or it may also be due to gastroesophageal reflux. The sensation sometimes comes when people experience certain emotions, such as grief or pride, but is often independent of such feelings.

Globus sensation is not dangerous and does not cause complications.

People who have symptoms that are not related to swallowing, have no warning signs (particularly no pain or difficulty with swallowing), and a normal examination (including swallowing observed by the doctor) most likely have globus sensation. Such people rarely need tests.

If the diagnosis is unclear, warning signs are present, or the doctor cannot adequately see the throat, swallowing tests including plain or video esophagography, measurement of swallowing time, chest x-ray, and manometry of the esophagus.

There is no need for any specific treatment for this issue.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.