Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Lump in right armpit

Hi, I am a 22 year-old female, and for the past months I have experience that I get a lump under my right armpit during, or around the time of my period. I have read about breast cancer, and I know that a lump in, or around the breast isa symptom of breast cancer; however, it could also be part of the premenstrual and postmenstrual symptoms, or it could be a Lymph node. Honestly what ever it is, it is worry me out seek, and I am trying to contact my doctor but I have been unable to. Would you please provide me with an answer mean while I get an appointment with my doctor.

I will greatlly appreciate.
Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2009
You have already listed most of the possibilities. A small amount of breast tissue normally exists in the armpit area (and more so in some people than others). Therefore, any breast abnormality can manifest in the armpit area. The fact that this lump is more prominent around the time of your period suggests (but does not prove) that you may have some fibrocystic changes in the "tail" of the breast. (Fortunately, breast cancer is extremely rare in people your age, but it cannot be completely excluded based upon age alone.)

There are also multiple lymph nodes in the armpit area, and these can become enlarged as well. In most cases, enlarged lymph nodes are caused by benign inflammatory of infectious conditions. Rarely, however, lymph nodes can enlarge due to lymphoma (a cancer of the lymph nodes), or due to the spread of cancers from other areas of the body.

You should make an appointment to see your doctor around the time of your period, for an examination. If a lump in your armpit persists, then it might also be helpful to have an ultrasound of this area performed as an initial diagnostic step.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied July 28th, 2009
underarm lump
Hi everyone! I'm 19 yrs old female.
Esthelita05 I think we have similarities in this issue. The lump on my right underarm is been here for years. it just got bigger now July 28 2009.As in I just noticed it when I'm putting an evening whitening night deodorant Before it's like a very very small stone underneath my skin and now it gets bigger. Not visible but i can feel it. And it hurts a little.I dont know how it started. I dont know if its just because of the products i use,because of shaving years ago because of plucking or waxing. I just had my underarm waxed last week. the lady who do the job also notice it, but its just small at that time. I dont want to panic, but im really afraid its also cancer because we have a history of breast cancer on our family plus ( I dont know if its connected) theres a a few growing hair around my nipples. It's grows around 1- 1 1/2 inch long.

I dont know on what type of doctor should i go. derma? IM? surgeon?

Dr Robert how about my case?
anyone pls help me
|

replied May 5th, 2013
pls post what dr said or outcome
Its 2013 did u find out anything? Pls share.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.