Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Lump in front of neck

I have a concern about a lump I found in my neck over 4 weeks ago. It is in the front, slightly to the left, and in the submandibular area (I think that's right if I am reading the diagrams correctly). It does not change in size, but is only growing slightly every week. It is fixed and I cannot feel the back side of it because it seems to be tucked in to the muscle there. It does not hurt and I don't have any redness in that area. I am 35 years old, non-smoker, have one glass of wine per week, and up until this last summer I have been in great health. Over the summer I lost 14% of my weight without trying, I had night sweats, itching, fevers, headache, etc... My primary doctor ran blood work and then sent me to see an oncologist because he suggested I might have lymphoma or leukemia. Thankfully all the cancer tests came back negative but there were a few minor things found in the process, like GERD and candida. Also, my wbc fluctuates in a range from 1.6 to 5.3, not too bad. There was never a PET scan done or a bone marrow test. The oncologist called me two months ago and said that based off one of the blood tests he got back that took two months, he wants to do the bone marrow even though all cancer tests came back negative. Now here I am 6 months later and 4 weeks into a new lump. I have an appointment with the doctor next week. A friend of mine is an RN and when she felt the lump, she highly suggested I get it checked out ASAP. Here is my question... is it possible that even though cancer testing was negative six months ago but now there is a lump... do I have reason to be concerned that it could show up as cancer now? I am slowly gaining my weight back, I still have night sweats and all the other symptoms have remained the same. Thanks for the imput.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2011
Lymphoma typically causes painless (and progressive) enlargement of one or more lymph nodes. On the other hand, tender, painful lymph nodes are usually caused by infection or inflammation.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide a specific diagnosis over the Internet to patients with concerns regarding enlarged lymph nodes. Therefore, my advice is for you to see your doctor for an examination. If you have persistently enlarged lymph nodes (and especially if they continue to enlarge), then a biopsy may become necessary to rule-out lymphoma, or other cancers involving the lymph nodes.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied April 8th, 2012
Lump located in front of the neck
I too am experiencing a lump in my neck with nearly all the same symptoms. I lose weight fast (when I should be gaining weight, I'm a 17 year old male who weighs 135 and is 6' 2.), get night sweats, etc. my lump is located about a half an inch directly below my chin (when I look up), and is the size of a grape. I first noticed it a Month ago, and it's slowly getting bigger. I am very concerned.. I've not yet seen any doctors about it, but I will soon. If anyone knows what this might be, please inform me!

- Renton
|

replied May 9th, 2012
:/
I just found a lump today in the same place. Over the past two months I have felt my heart beat change, it jumps around a little and feels really weird. I also have been getting really bad chest pains that last for up to 20 mins at a time. I am 20 and smoke 5-10 a day. I would also get night sweats. Havnt been to the doctor because I don't want to waste there time
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.