Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Lump deep within vagina

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I have a spot like lump deep within my vagina on the right side. Please is this normal or something to worry about?
I have noticed on the forum many women also have this lump.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 8th, 2010
Womens Conditions Answer A16009
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

A lump inside the vaginal wall is always abnormal. It can be a swollen lymph node, herpes simplex infection, though cancer of vaginal wall is rare, it is still possible, or it can be Bartholin cyst if the lump is felt close to the opening of the vagina. What you have is probably a Bartholin cyst.

On each side of the vaginal opening there are Bartholin's glands which secrete fluid to lubricate the vagina. At times their openings become obstructed causing fluid to accumulate in the gland, resulting in relatively painless swelling called a Bartholin cyst.

You can soak in a tub filled with a few inches of warm water (sitz bath) several times a day for three or four days. This may rupture cyst and which will then drain on its own. If this does not help, then please consult your gynecologist for incision and drainage.

Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss these possibilities with your gynecologist once and get yourself examined. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.