Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

lump at the back of head that could possibly be Bone spur

I have a lump at the back of my head and it feels like a bone, and it's located at the occipital bone, it itches sometimes, when I accidentally bang my head, the lump grows, and eventually goes back to the normal sized lump, I believe I first encountered it when I started getting immense headaches when I was 13, and in addition, when I was 15 when I banged my head immensefully hard on a fire place, I went to my GP and he thinks it's a funny outgrowth from fusion when I was born, it seems there is muscle or some sort attached to the bone spur, does this lump need to be removed via surgery before further damage??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
junaldinho,

Lumps and bumps about the head are very common. The old field of phrenology used to "read" the bumps on a person's head.

Exostoses (bone spurs) are very common and usually are nothing to be concerned about. Also, epidermal cysts are very frequent and can be very hard to the touch.

In most cases, bumps about the head are nothing to worry about. But, it a lump starts to grow significantly, becomes red, or becomes very painful, then you should see someone about it.

Good luck.
|

replied July 23rd, 2011
Thank you very much for that helpful comment, now I just need to hear from my doctor on how they can remove it!!
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
An exostosis on the outer calvarium rarely, if ever, needs to be removed. They do not affect the inner table, where the brain contacts the skull. Before a surgeon would remove it, he/she would have to have proof that it is actually violating, or has the potential to violate, the inner table. Or, that it is in some way causing actual problems. Otherwise, the risks are just too great for any benefit.

But, if you are adamant about having it removed, most surgeons will want you to have a CT of the skull done for evaluation. And make sure you get a competent surgeon and not someone who says "oh yea I can take that off for you" and has never done it before. The last thing you want is a penetrating injury to the skull or an infection.

Good luck.
|

replied July 24th, 2011
Well it does cause major discomfort, when I do accidentally hit my head or it gets touched then it gets inflammed, therefore it hurts and it causes major irritation and sawness, but hours later it deflates back to the normal sized lump, plus sometimes I get headaches, occassionally migranes but I got an X-Ray a few days ago, and I just have to wait a few weeks until I hear my doctor with what I am diagnosed with, but thank you ever so much for your comments!!
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....