User Profile
i am a 16 year old girl and round 2 years ago i got a lump around my cervix area and it has grown that big you can see were it is threw the skin.I was worried about it but then my friend got the same thing and hers went after about two weeks, and now it causes pain when i have sex and i am very worried about what it is now does anyone no or can help please?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2010
Womens Conditions Answer A17186
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

What you have is probably a Bartholin cyst. On each side of the vaginal opening there are Bartholin's glands which secrete fluid to lubricate the vagina. At times their openings become obstructed causing fluid to accumulate in the gland, resulting in relatively painless swelling called a Bartholin cyst.

You can soak in a tub filled with a few inches of warm water (sitz bath) several times a day for three or four days. This may rupture cyst and which will then drain on its own. If this does not help, then please consult your gynecologist for incision and drainage.

To be on safe side get a STD panel done too to rule out possibility of warts and herpes.
Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss these possibilities with your gynecologist once. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.