I have urinary tract problems now for as long as I can remember. My symptoms are very strange though and do not fit a particular disease! I thought for years they were common UTIs but it's not because I have no bacterial grown in my urine.
- I am 20 years old
- I have had problems as far back as I can remember, but it's got worse as I have got older.
- Symptoms are always lower; I feel horrible pain/burning in urethra or possibly bladder, but never had lower abdominal pain or back pain.
- Pain comes on when I am dehydrated, for example if I have been drinking the night before, the morning will be terrible.
- Symptoms can be worse after sex.
- Symptoms are usually relieved or almost gone if I drink around 2 litres of water, after it's got through my system and I need to urinate frequently it's usually painless.
- Pain is relieved on urination, or even just sitting on the toilet and 'pushing' as if trying to urinate helps, but then the pain is worse after I have 'pushed out' every last drop! When it is at its worst, nothing helps the pain, no matter how much I drink. Sometimes I'll just have to sit on the toilet all day and contantly drink.
- On one or two occasions, when it has been at it worst and I had been really pushing to try and relieve the pain, I have actually passed clotted blood.
- Tests have shown no sign of bacterial growth (normal when sent to the lab) however, I have had several urine samples with blood present (+++) infact I think all the samples I have given in have had blood in.
- All external areas look totally normal, when I had STI check I was totally fine.

Please help!! Do you have any idea what it could be?? I am a medical student myself so apart from the pain and discomfort this has caused me all my life, I am really just curious what it could possibly be!
Thanks, Heather
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2014
hi there
its very difficult to comment without thorough history and examination.
the differentials can be a urinary tract infection / a stone in urinary tract calculus/nephritis/urethritis.
i would like to run some tests:
urine culture
ultrasound abdomen pelvis
std panel
x ray kub.
urethral swab

a trial of broad spectrum antibiotics can be given.

meanwhile drink a lot of water
cranberry juice can be considered
some citralka for alkalising agent for decreasing burning in urinating

thanks for using ehealth forum
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.