Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Lower Thoracic Disc Herniation? being a firefighter

I've been recently diagnosed with a lower Thoracic Disc Herniation about 3 months ago. I previously had a bulged disc 8 months prior to the herniation in the disc (same one).

I injured it through military training (now voluntarily released because of it).
I'm currently during physiotherapy and it's working pretty well. I'm clear in 3-4 weeks to return to light activity.

I'm just wondering if i will ever be able to go back to work along the lines of military/police/firefighter related work again in the future?

I'm currently 18. I already had to change my plans for the immediate future in terms of my programs to avoid stressing out my back.

At this point, I'm just worried that I will never be able to be a firefighter, my final career goal. Is it possible to reach it if I spend a good number of years rehabbing my back properly and strengthening it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2015
Thank you for asking

I read your question and I understand your concern. Bulged discs are easily manageable. No need to worry about that. Just continue physio and take rest and NSAIDS and avoid heavy weight lifting.

I hope it helps. Consult your doctor as our advice is just for education purposes only.

Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.