Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Lower right quadrant pain, 3 mos later, still not sure

Im a male. lower right quadrant abdominal pain started in late january early february. Accompanying symptoms were diarreah, appetite loss, and nausea. I saw my primary care doctor a week after the pain started. I had urine, blood test, x ray, and was ordered a ct scan the same day. Nurse operating radiology ordered wrong ct, so i had a pelvic ct. Everything appeared normal. Appendix and some other digestive organs did not appear, but the rest of the scan came back normal. Urine and blood test came back normal. I was going to be referred to a gastroenterologist. A week later, i came back to the same doctor because of persisting pain, and he was worried so he ordered more blood tests x rays and ct. I do not remember the results of the blood test, but he did not seem to upset about it. He was worried about appendicitis this time, so i had another ct scan. I had an abdominal ct scan this time, and the appendix "seemed" normal. 6-7 mm. And the radiologist told us i had enflamed lymphnodes in my abdomen which could of meant anything. We did not hear anything else about the scan. My first visit to the gastroenterologist, he became worried of crohns or ulcerative colitis, so we scheduled a upper and lower gi tract endoscopy. The only thing that came back was acid reflux. Our next appointment, he put me on cyproheptadine for the appetite, omeprazole for acid reflux, and carafate for acid reflux. The last appointment we had, that was last week, a nurse that was getting information mentioned possibility of gallstones or something else like that, and we should probably get an ultrasound. After the nurse left, the doctor came in, and told us the blood test(we had another done before this appointment) came back fine. He said what seemed to be a possibility was IBS, but to me the symptoms didnt seem to add up. The enflamed lymphnodes makes me think its something else. He is going to prescribe me VLS probiotic, and paxil to add seratonin to my stomach, than see in june what is the next step. He still isnt 100% sure what it is, but i dont feel like it is IBS. Its 3 months later, and i am tired of the pain and want a diagnosis. I dont know what are symptoms or not but here are some things i have been feeling:fatigue, lower right abdominal pain(sharp), loss of appetite, nausea, occasional naval pain, occasional pain under my ribs on the right side, pain radiating to my back, somewhat blurry state of mind occasionally, bad circulation to fingers. Also, could it be anything not related to gastroenterology?Thank you and if you need anymore information just ask.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 14th, 2015
I have almost the exact same issue, and have been on most of the meds you were also prescribed to no avail (except I was allergic to the cyproheptadine) and my GI doctor told me to go to Mayo Clinic to see if they could do anything about it, so maybe that could be a next step for you too? I understand the pain very much as it has now pretty much taken over my life now. Although one of my only differences is that I have tachycardia with my pain (fast heart beat) so I think my next step is going to Mayo, so maybe if you live relatively near one of the 3 Mayo clinics, you might want to try to go there too. Otherwise, I have no other suggestions because I'm still caught in this weird problem as well.
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

Though you may feel that you might have a serious medical disorder, since all the medical investigations done so far have been negative, it is likely that you does not have any severe medical issues.

But from the description of your symptoms, it seems that you may be having functional issues like - Irritable bowel syndrome.

Irritable bowel syndrome IBS, is a functional disorder characterized by cramping abdominal pain or discomfort with alterations in bowel habits (bloating, constipation, and / or diarrhea).

IBS does not cause any permanent damage or any serious illness but the symptoms cause severe discomfort & distress affecting an individuals work, ability to travel and attend social events.

Most symptoms of IBS can be controlled with diet, stress management, and prescribed medications (laxatives, antidiarrheals, antispasmodics, or antidepressants).

In case you are still having abdominal cramps, you can try to seek relief with over the counter medications like peptobismol. If they do not help, prescription medications (Antispamodic agents) provided by a gastroenterologist might be of some help.

I hope this helps.
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.