Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

lower pole thyroid nodule?

User Profile
I am 48 yrs old. I have lower pole thyroid nodule 2.2*1.1*2.4cm founded by ultrasound scan.
FNAC concluded that Aspirate from right thyroid nodule & appearance favor lymphocyte thyroids.Thyroid Stimulating Hormone test was 2.72miu/ml.
what is your opinion?Doing a surgery or taking meditations? Can i know whether their is any side effects after doing a surgery & taking medications can cure the disease. We decided to do surgery because My mother also had a thyroid cancer.but in government hospital we received a date on next August.is it danger to stay such a period without dong surgery or meditation? what is your idea is it necessary to do a surgery or not? please tell me

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2011
Thyroid Cancer Answer A22264
Hello and welcome to E health forum.

From the history provided it seems that you have lymphocytic thyroiditis.

Your TSH levels are normal (Normal Range - 0.4 - 4.0 mIU/L ). Hence the need

In case the histology has ruled out any form of malignancy in the FNAC, then there is no reason to be worried about delay in the surgery.

If the disease causes thyroid hormone deficiency, you may need replacement therapy with thyroid hormone. This usually involves daily use of the synthetic thyroid hormone levothyroxine (Levothroid, Levoxyl, Synthroid), which is usually lifelong.

In case the disease can me managed medically, then the need for surgery might not be needed.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.