Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

lower back pain and leg numb

i am suffering with lower back pain and right leg numbness since 1 year. Recently i consulted one doctor in India and he recommended to take MRI scan on LS spine and i did. But due to insufficient time i didn't get a chance to consult doctor again and take treatment in India and then i came back to USA.But I've got reports with me and the reports says

"Diffuse bulging disc at L3/4 and L4/5 causing indentation on the thecal column without any compromise of canal diameter or neural foramen"

I am not sure what that it is but my lower back and numbness getting worse.
Is that something i need to worry or i can relief from pain by doing some kind of physical exercises?
Please suggest me what should be my next step?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper pmapkiranch

replied July 4th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You need to see a spine surgeon for evaluation and diagnosis of what is going on with your spine.

You need a new MRI done because the one you have from a year ago is far to old to diagnose you with. Many, many changes can occur in a years time from when you had the last one done.

You have nerve compression going on in you spine and that is causing the numbness in your leg.

Depending on what else may or may not be going on with your spine, you may be able to heal the disc with physical therapy or other conservative treatments.

BUT, it all depends on what is going on with your spine.

Physical therapy is very different from just some kind of exercises. If you just try to do some exercises without knowing the correct ones and how to do them correctly and strengthen your cores, you could do further damage to you spine.

Get to a spine surgeon, either an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in spines or a neurosurgeon that specializes in spines only for evaluation, diagnosis and treatment plan.

Good luck

Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 4th, 2009
Thanks for the reply.
I have taken MRI scan in March'09 so is that ok?
In Jan'09 i went to Nuero Surgeon in Austin,TX but she said nothing is wrong.
In March '09 i went to orthopedic in India but he said nothing is wrong.But i argued with him that i have severe pain so he prescribed MRI.

Week later i took MRI but have no time to go back to see orthopedic doctor and i came to texas.

When i looked at report i understood that Chiropractic treatment would help.

But please suggest me whether i have to again Nuero Surgeon/Orthopedic or Chiropractic
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...