Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Lower Abdominal pain when I need to urinate?

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
Hello, for pretty much a year now, on and off, ive been getting lower abdominal pain when I need to urinate.
Ive seen my doctor numerous times, and ive had kidney/testicular ultra sounds, urine tests and a lower body x-ray.
They all found nothing. It leaves me kinda low and helpless as I feel like theres now no point in going back to my doctor, because he simply doesnt know what it is, the tests found nothing and im stuck with it.

I have been urinating more frequently, I can't go the night without getting up to urinate, sometimes the pain gets unbareable so I have to get up or stop working and go to the toilet, ive never had to do this before...

The women that did my ultrasound said a possibility is that when i'm urinating im not emptying my bladded and its causing my bladder walls to become infected (causing the pain), but surely this would show up in a urine test? Which I have done 3 of over the last year.

Please help, any remedies, non-prescription drugs I can take to ease the pain? or even stop this?

Thanks, Jon
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Ministrike

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2011
Hello, and thank you for your medical question on e Health Forum.

From the description it seems that you have had these symptoms of urinary frequency and burning pain for over a year, without any relief.

Since repeated urinalysis and diagnostic tests have been normal, you might be having interstitial cystitis.

Hence a cystoscopy is being advised to look into the urinary bladder to see areas of inflammation within the bladder.

Based on the findings of the cystoscopy, specific therapy can be started by your urologist to relieve your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.