Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Low tsh and liver enzyme

Hey ,
I'm 19 years old male. 14 months ago I was diagnosed as Thyroid cancer patient with Hashimoto background and had the complete Thyroid removed. A month after the surgery I got a Iodine treatment.
Currently the thyroid blood tests are good and the TSH level has decreased recently to 0.125(Hyper).
Since the surgery my liver enzyme ALT has gradually elevated from 50 to 88 then 100 and now 148. Now also AST has elevated to 98.
Tests for Hepatitis A B C and kind of viruses were negative. Liver Ultrasound found no evidence for abnormality except for enlarged spleen (13.5 cm).
My questions are:
1. What could be the reasons for ALT,AST elevation?
2. Could be any relation between the TSH level decrease (hyper thyroid) and the Elevation of ALT AST?

Thank you
David
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2010
AST and ALT can become elevated due to numerous causes, including medications, viruses, alcohol, and obesity. Hyperthyroidism can also cause an increase in AST, ALT, bilirubin, and/or alkaline phosphatase levels in the blood. (Unfortunately, I cannot tell you which of these potential causes, if any, are causing your ALT and AST elevations, although if these tests normalize after correction of your hyperthyroidism, then this may confirm the cause in your case).

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.