I am 55 yeard old diabetic and high blood pressure patient. Also has a gallstone that causes pain sometimes. I have got my kidney function test done recently and is told that one of my kidney is functioning 30% and second one is functioning 70%. I am bit worried. Is there anything serious to worry about with these numbers. Please advise.

Mary
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I will be honest here. This is the type of question that should be answered by your doctor. It is a little beyond what we would be able to say on the board. You really need to get all the information you can from your doc. Make him make it clear to you the pro's and con's of the disfuntional kidney. You can live a pretty normal life with one kidney. Some will opt of dialisis if it looks like it warrent it. Doc might give you a fluid intake daily chart to keep the 70% kidney working at it's fullest.

This is your health we are talking about. You need to know everything you can about it.
|
Users who thank CarolDiane for this post: homerx 

replied June 8th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi
Welcome to e-health. Do you know what your GFR is? What tests have you had done? It sounds like you had a renal scan. Are you seeing a nephrologist? What did the Dr. say? This might help.
http://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/site/ contents.php
I wish you the best.
|

replied June 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi and Welcome

You should consult with your doctor in the meantime look at the sticky at the top of the forum.
There's a site called kidneyschool.org in the sticky which gives you a brief teaching tutorial.
Best wishes and keep us posted.
|
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...