Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Low eGFR (66) and high CK (470). Can be fixed?

Hi guys.

I am a 29 year old male elite athlete (track sprint / crossfit / weights) who trains very hard every day. This week I got a blood test to check all my levels. Got a call from my doctor to go in and chat. He said I have bad muscle breakdown, evident by my CK levels of 470 (should be below 170). He says that as a result of this, and being very dehydrated, my kidney function (eGFR) result was quite low, at 66. I have been training very hard lately with a mixture of sprint training, weights and crossfit training).

My question is.... Now that I have been ordered to rest, and drink a whole lot of water to flush the muscle breakdown out of my system, is it likely that my kidney function eGFR result will go back up to more normal levels? I am scared that I have permanent damage.

Many thanks in advance!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum. I am glad that I can help you.

The decrease in your GFR is very mild and has occurred due to dehydration.

GFR within the range of 60-90 is considered to be mild reduction in GFR. GFR in the range of 90-130 is considered to be normal.

Once adequate hydration and rest is provided, and as the metabolites of muscle breakdown are excreted, your kidney functions will return to normal levels. This does not result into any form of permanent kidney damage.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.