Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Low cardio...Low impact exercises?

Anyone have some suggestions for low cardio/low impact exercises?

I am not allowed to ride bike (Patella-Alta with Chondromalatial-Osteoarthritis)
I am not allowed to walk too far (Same reason)
I can't pick up heavy objects (Osteoarthritis in both wrists)
I am not allowed to exert my self greater than 10kg's (Mitral & Aortic valve prolapse)

I can feel my joints, especially my shoulder, becoming more and more loose. My right shoulder is sublaxing fairly badly and feels close to the point where it might just dislocate all together.

Any suggestions is much appreciated Very Happy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
probably some swimming of some sort would be best excercise for you since you say you have problem with arthritis and swimming is very low impact...and they have swim excercise classes you can enroll in..that seems to be your best bet...just look into it at the gym...other than that maybe pilates might be good? it focuses on your core(abs) and stretching and it isn't very high impact either, i think its great!...good luck!
|

User Profile
replied September 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Definitely yoga or Pilates.

Yoga can help you better relax, very low impact, and helps with chronic pain and stress. The more advanced stuff could be a problem, but the beginner stuff is relatively easy. Pilates could be an issue for your wrists, but certainly worth a try. Your instructor in yoga or Pilates should be able to give you alternative ideas to make things less painful for you (Like instead of putting stress on your wrists, you'd rest on your forearms instead-- stuff like that).

Swimming is low impact, but its a lot of cardio especially if you're not used to getting around in the water. If you are used to water than swimming is a good choice.

If you're not comfortable in the water, then most gyms have an elliptical machine that you could try. It has very low impact (none really) and the cardio is however you want it to be. It promotes excellent cardiovascular health. Smile
|

User Profile
replied September 22nd, 2008
Supporter
I agree with the recommendations. Just be advised that you should also seek a qualified trainer or teacher who can take into account your injuries.
|

replied September 22nd, 2008
Experienced User
Thanks guys Very Happy

That's a lot I can look in to.

I always loved swimming as a kid ... even though I was self concious and shy about my physical appearance. At least now that I know the cause for my appearance, it won't be as bad Wink
|

replied April 19th, 2009
Beginners Yoga Might Work!
I agree with the other comments - beginner yoga is probably the way to go!

Since yoga is non competitive, you learn at your own pace - there's no gym instructor standing over your back cracking a whip!

Another great thing is that you can learn beginner yoga at home, from a free beginner yoga website, so there's no need to buy before you try!

Of course, there are beginner yoga classes in most cities that you could try too.

Hope it works for you!
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2009
Supporter
Yes --- one intermediate site I visit is called YogaToday. They have free 50-60 minutes classes. Sarah teaches beginner classes...and you can choose from a menu of 7 classes on any given day. All free. What websites do you know of Caliente?
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....