Medical Questions > Nutrition > Diets and Diet Plans Forum

Low calorie diet healthy and general diet suggestions?

Hi,

I recently started a weightloss program and was hoping for some input. As for background information, I am 20 years old, weighted 215lb, suffer from chronic knee and joint problems, and had a BMI of 34.7...

Starting March 3, I started a diet/exercise program that included a 40-50 minute walking/jogging on my treadmill daily if possible, walking 4-5 km twice a week when I go to University, and push ups/sit ups every 2nd day. In terms of diet, I eliminated several foods including sugary drinks (basically all drinks except water and low fat/skim milk), white pastas (although I have eaten some in small amounts this past week regrettably), red meats, sweets, and white bread. My diet so far has consisted of eating primarily vegetarian/vegan food and the only meat I eat is chicken breast. In terms of supplements, I was consuming multivitamins, Vitamin D, and Calcium tablets, along with Metamucil Fiber supplement. I did find out that I was becoming constipated from the Multivitamins (Iron), so I have discontinued using those until I can find ones without Iron.

As of today, I am currently weighting 200lb and it does not seem to be going any lower despite increasing the durations of my runs and introducing a weight/resistance program (P90 with free weights 6 days a week). I was losing quickly in the first two weeks and now it seems to have just stalled. I am wondering if this is normal and will just require some more time or if I can do something? I do not feel this is directly linked to muscle mass as it has only been a few days of doing the program.

I have heard opinions from other individuals that my total calorie count has been in the 1000-1100 range daily and that my body is entering starvation mode. Although calorie intake might appear like a very small amount, I am a short male (5’6) and was rarely active prior to this. Judging from my waist measurements, my Body fat is roughly 50% of my body mass and don’t believe I need the calories recommended by websites when given my weight/height. I also rarely feel hunger pangs as I fill myself up with vegetables which have a very low calorie count. I don’t actually think I could manage a higher calorie diet as I would be more tempted to relapse back into my old habits.

With that being said, are there any comments to the 1100 calorie diet given my background information and any suggestions that can be made to my routine? I have scheduled an appointment with my doctor, but I unfortunately will not see him until mid April.

Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 15th, 2011
I have a similar thing going on, Some people told me it could be that I am going into starvation mode but It's not as if I am eating a slice of cheese a day, I am eating 3 portioned meals and little fruit snacks etc throughout the day, I am satisfied hunger wise at the end of the night, so how can that be starvation mode?

I personally think it's just a case of weight loss plateau, it happens to everyone and you just have to push through.
|

replied June 15th, 2011
To combat this sometimes you need a little change in your eating to maybe changing your exercise regime a bit to sort of jolt the body into action again as it may have become used to the new way and stopped burning fat as effectively.
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2011
By far I would suggest a lean muscle building regimen by lifting heavy weights at most 6-8 reps. If you build more lean muscle your body will burn more fat even when your not working out, say at night when your sleeping and when your sitting down.

You will have to increase your intake of calories a bit, I suggest a protein shake right after a good weight lifting workout.
|
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....