Please read the quote below and then tell me what I'm supposed to eat to raise my blood sugar during a hypoglycemic attack? i dont mind cutting out sugar completely to get over this pos disorder but i need to know how to handle attacks without propagating it.

[Keith DeOrio, M.D., [the integrative physician in Santa Monica who correctly diagnosed my hypoglycemia after I endured years of hellish symptoms], further describes the sequence that could lead to type 2 diabetes: "The brain craves more glucose so you consume more simple carbs to get your blood sugar back up again," he says. "You get into this vicious cycle of low sugar, high sugar, low sugar, high sugar, low sugar, high sugar. And that taxes your pancreas, which then leads to either insulin deficiency or to greater insulin resistance and, therefore, type 2 diabetes. Diabetes really is chronic hypoglycemia." 1]

Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 12th, 2008
??
What the **** am i supposed to eat when my blood sugar is low? Someone tell me, I'm already pissed off from having low blood sugar right now. I see people viewing so someone better respond!

No I'm not portraying a stereotype, I'm really mad and frustrated! Every site says don't eat ANY sugar and cut out fruit well how the am i supposed to raise my blood sugar back up?
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Fruit is fine, just read my diet on this forum and listen to what I tell you. I killed this problem for myself long ago and I'll get you through it. Read my response in the other thread where you asked this.
|

replied May 12th, 2008
hey stan
my dad's name is stan. cool name.

have you ever experimented with inositol? i took some today and my symptoms seem to be subsiding.

i was on it for 2 years for anxiety and when i went off of it i started getting the numb/panic attacs at night so i wonder if i made myself deficient but now that i started taking it again i feel ok. weird huh? who knows if taking it in high doses and then stopping it caused my hypoglycemia but im going to continue increasing my dose and seeing if it makes it go away.
|

replied May 12th, 2008
i guess im still confused. if my blood sugar is 50 i shouldnt eat simlpe sugar but i should eat something with protein? i dont see how that would raise my levels

asodpkqwpekqpokqpwokpoqwek
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Never tried the stuff. It's pretty abundant in lots of food like nuts and melons, so supplementing won't really do that much. You might be fooling yourself. And no, I really doubt you can become deficient in it, your body actually synthesizes it itself. Again, when you eat any food it becomes glucose, protein is slower and CANNOT cause the effects that candy does because it's not a simple sugar (not even sugar to begin with, just becomes it through a long process). You have to do this because it will get your body in check so the symptoms go away. Eventually, you'll have nothing. Eating candy will work, at first, but you'll need more and more of it as time goes on and end up a total wreck. Eating protein keeps your body getting some energy, albeit slower, and then over time it stops overreacting and you can try tons of different foods. But at first it takes a LOT of work. Expect to pretty much feel like hell for the next four months.
|

replied June 16th, 2008
Okay
This is MY understanding about hypoglycemic sugar levels and diet.
I BELIEVE that I developed a more severe problem with a pre-existing condition while I was vegetarian for 12 years.
So... correct me if I'm wrong but....
Protein helps to digest or RELEASE sugars into the blood stream. Sugar not broken down usually turns to fat. You need to digest an even amount of GLUCOSE (pure, not synthetic) sugars (fruit, veggies, etc.) and proteins (nuts, meats, etc!) so that the protein will distribute the good sugars before they turn to fat. YOU NEED GLUCOSE but... you NEED IT TO BE ABSORBED INTO THE BLOODSTREAM rather than sitting in the pancreas turning into fat. Synthetic sugars are very hard for the pancreas to break down. If in an emergency you decide to eat candy, have a big piece of fish or chicken later on. The highs and lows are a bad habit to get into (and I am a FINE one to talk- I do it all of the time!!) I find that doing this EXHAUSTS my body, causes nightmares and insomnia AND makes me gain a TON of weight!!!! Carry apples, berries, almonds, whole grain turkey sandwiches (with cranberry ketchup- yummy!) broccoli, and spinach. Also, I like to buy a big bag of frozen chicken breast or beef, cook it off with some spices or south beach marinade on a Sunday and take portions of it with me all week. Meatballs are another good protein substitue on the go!!!!
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. There are some things you mention you should not be eating. I eat a good diet and I don't need to carry around snacks, EVER.
|

replied December 2nd, 2010
I go thru the same routine everyday, my sugar will be fine, then it bottoms out...I am 23 years old, 5'7, 107 lbs. I am a very slender person. but what I do when my starts dropping low, is just eat something, it doesn't really matter what, just as long as it has some carbohydrates in it, in which almost any packaged food is loaded with carbs. Simple. not a long term fix, but it will get you thru a low blood sugar....
|

replied December 2nd, 2010
Low blood Sugar temporary fix...
I go thru the same routine everyday, my sugar will be fine, then it bottoms out...I am 23 years old, 5'7, 107 lbs. I am a very slender person. but what I do when my starts dropping low, is just eat something, it doesn't really matter what, just as long as it has some carbohydrates in it, in which almost any packaged food is loaded with carbs. Simple. not a long term fix, but it will get you thru a low blood sugar....
|
Quick Reply