User Profile
i have had two cervical fusions, 1st- c5-c7 in 2002; then in 2009 i had c4 fused to the previous. since then c3 has slipped and is not sitting on the fusion properly and the disc is completely herniated. i have lost almiost total use of my right arma nad hand and my right foot drags when walking. my dr. wants to do another fusion.will this help correct my problems. ican deal with the pain but i am 44 yrs old and need to know if it will correct the other symptoms

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2010
Neurological Disorders Answer A11978
Thanks for using this forum....

From your medical history its a case of adjacent disc degeneration because of rigid joints below.Repeat operations are not all that easy especially with two operations and a scar.A ct of cervical bodies and MRI Cspine need to be evaluated carefully.Also note should be made of any myelopathic changes in cord which if present is unlikely to recover.In all I think you should take second opinion regarding fusion surgery as it may or maynot return power in the right hand..On the other hand progressive hernition can result in complete loss of function ,hence need for extreme care and avoiding falls.

take care.....

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.